eclipse

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

eclipse

Post by loman »

I probably should consider myself lucky for living in the "PATH OF TOTALITY" but I'm kinda of tired of hearing about the eclipse. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't believe how much the media is making out of the eclipse. I know it is a once in a lifetime experience, but I'm not that excited about the event.They keep warning of tens of thousands of people showing up in the area tomorrow. Schools are closing tomorow because there is concern about traffic problems in the area. There are also some schools making families sign waivers to release them of liability when kids go out to look at eclipse.
Coming home from race track last night, I saw signs in Illinois warning of possible traffic delays due to eclipse observing people. :roll:

Jims65cyclone

Re: eclipse

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I feel your pain. We're in the Path of Totality, too. The center line is cutting diagonally through South Carolina, passing directly over Greenville, Lexington/Columbia and Charleston. Columbia is expecting up to 600,000 visitors from 32 states and 8 foreign countries. They're asking the locals to stock up on groceries, fill up on gas and stay home if possible. Now they're saying we may have cloud cover during the event. We may end up with 600,000 PO'd people. :x I've got my eclipse glasses, and plan to go out in the front yard to see what's happening, then go back inside and hide from all those potentially PO'd people. :roll:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ME personaly,,it don't thrill me at all,,,after being told Tuesday by the eye doctor and for the last few yrs what a good pair of eyes I have be going on 70yrso,,,I don't want to chance anything....I use my glasses to read small print ,bible newspaper,,,I don't need to them to drive in fact I drive my dirt track race car without glasses....I ain't looking at the sky.....beside I'll more then likely forget all about it anyway.....I think it's just a way to make money from the glasses...I read you stick a pin hole in a piece of cardboard and it serves the same purpose.......but OL POP could be mistaken... :shock: :roll: :? :? :?
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

We traveled 2 hours north of home to see the total eclipse. Spending the night in a nice hotel and they have a nice place set aside to view tomorrow so we don't have to go anywhere.

May regret it tomorrow when we head home.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think I'll mow the yard while it is shady! :)
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I think I'll mow the yard while it is shady! :)
I need to adjust the headlights on the comet,,that'll be a good time to do it.....then I might bush hog some on the tractor,,,but I'll keep my hat brim pulled down :wink:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

I'm working graveyard shift tonight. Tomorrow while I'm sleeping during the eclipse I'll feel normal for a couple of minutes. Or not. :roll:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

BJB

Post by BJB »

You lucky buggers.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Yep I am sitting in a field looking at a cloudy sky :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

If I never here "totality" again it'll be too soon.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lip Ripper wrote:If I never here "totality" again it'll be too soon.
Totally
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Yeh i'm tired of all of it too. Interesting to a point. Now on to something better.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The clouds cleared enough just as the we got TOTALITY :roll: :P :lol: and it turned evening in the middle of the day, overall pretty cool experience.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well, it was impressive! 8) For a while, as it began (about 30 minutes before total), it kept going in and out behind the clouds. Then, about 5 minutes before total, a big blue patch opened up. I tried to take some pics of the actual eclipse with my cell phone, but even during the time it was total, there was enough light coming from the sun's corona to make the image just a smudge. To me, the more impressive thing was what was going on at ground level. It went from bright and sunny to late evening darkness and back again in just a few minutes. At the peak, the street lights came on, the cicadas were whirring, lighting bugs were flashing and a even a bat went whizzing by overhead. :shock: The surprising thing was how quickly all those nocturnal critters came out, then went away again. Like I said, I didn't get any decent pics of the actual eclipse, but I did take some pics of my house just before, during and just after totality that illustrate how dark it got, and how quickly it happened. The first was taken at 2:39 pm, the second at 2:42 pm and the third at 2:44 pm, total span of 5 minutes!

Jim
Last edited by Jims65cyclone on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJB

Post by BJB »

Comechero65 wrote:Yeh i'm tired of all of it too. Interesting to a point. Now on to something better.
Ron
Ron , so your preferred celestial body is in the garage and has 4 tyres and a stroker up front :)

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."