The Budget Build Concept

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: The Budget Build Concept

Post by popscomet »

GLENDA has and will help me anytime I need her to,,,she learnt yrs ago the importance of having PARTS.....but that also is because we have been together almost since the start of time :wink: 8) pop
pop/glenda

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

redhotcomet wrote:
lavron wrote:Do you remember what you got that out of? I need to start looking for a driveshaft as well.
95-2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Has to be a PI, regular Crown Vics were steel and an inch longer, which are too long. You'll also need two 1310/1330 combination u-joints and the slip yoke off your T5. 1999-2000 got a Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) driveshaft instead of aluminum. They were also a service replacement for the aluminum. Lots of info on them if you do a google search.
I was just thinking...before you go out and buy one of those driveshafts...do hardtops and post cars have the same wheelbase? Anyone know?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Since I have been married I have not really had a hobby, my Comet has sat waiting to be that hobby, I love working on old cars even when it can be frustrating at times because there is a satisfaction from taking a pile of parts (sometimes from a variety sources) and putting them together into something that runs and drives.

I have to admit it has been a hard transition from building on a house and other things, all the time, to doing something just for the fun of it. I am not saying there hasn't been a satisfaction in building the house and creating something from just a pile of stuff sourced from various places, using old stuff and new, old tech and high tech, but it something I really don't want to do anymore, I want to get back to the Comet.

While it is true I cannot justify spending any money on my car, it will never return a monetary gain (I have will invested more than it is worth) it does not supply a need like a house, I have modern vehicles so it is not needed for transportation, it will never be "like" a modern vehicle. BUT, that is not what it is all about, it is about having fun, doing something I enjoy, and getting to know people like on this forum, certain things one cannot place a dollar value on.

One thing I think is great about this hobby all different sorts are represented, some are doing for profit (which is fine), some are doing it somewhat out of necessity (need a car to drive) some are, like me, doing because they enjoy it (and we each do it a different way), I have to say I don't know a lot about other groups of car enthusiast, this is really the only group of people I am familiar with, but I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know some really great guys.

I have always said that when someone owns (or admires) a Mercury Comet and they are passionate about them (they realize what a great and fun car they are) and they really have a hard time understanding why they are not more popular (that might be a good thing) you come up with a good class of people, helpful people, ones that are not snobs or elitist, because they understand the other guy. I am not saying this is 100% and there will never be any conflict but it is just my observation.

While it is certain that there has been a pretty long and ongoing discussion on the value of Comets and other "old" cars, mine has no price, there is no selling price for it, the value of the car for me is too high for anyone too afford. as a Comet buddy said to me once (that would be Pops :wink: ) "Never put a selling price on a car you don't want to sell, no matter how high it seems, because someone will come along and buy it" or something very similar to that :roll:

So in the spirit of this thread, the question might be asked "If money is not really a factor (no upper value on the car), why not spend more fixing it?" I have two answers to that; One is, I don't want too, I want to create, I want to get my hands dirty, Even that I may want to do something new and different. And two, I want to show the people who don''t think they can afford to fix an old car up (especially a Comet) they can do it for not a lot of cash if they are willing to get their hands dirty and scour the countryside and think of new ways of doing things.

Am I doing my project right? Well I am not doing it wrong, I am doing how I want too, there are other ways and that is why places like this are so important, someone may not want to do everything how I am but there are a lot of other choices here, there is a freedom to pick and choose from what everyone else is doing, some from one and some from another, that is why I want to let everyone know what I am doing, that is why I enjoy reading and seeing what everyone else is doing and the knowledge here is so deep. The first build on my Comet I did on my own, I made mistakes, this time it will be better because of the community to get advice from and bounce ideas off of. And finally to be inspired to at least try.

I may move like a snail on getting stuff done but I generally do get my projects done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:I was just thinking...before you go out and buy one of those driveshafts...do hardtops and post cars have the same wheelbase? Anyone know?
Yes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

lavron wrote:
I may move like a snail on getting stuff done but I generally do get my projects done.
I have a deadline-driven day job, so I like the fact that my comet will sit in my garage very patiently and allow me to "move like a snail" on the resto...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

anoNY42 wrote:
lavron wrote:
I have a deadline-driven day job, so I like the fact that my comet will sit in my garage very patiently and allow me to "move like a snail" on the resto...
POP had one of those jobs at the railroad,10hrs worth of work and 8 to do it in..but now that I'm retired..am so laid back it might take me 10 minutes to walk across the living room.....there is always tomorrow and if by chance you don't have tomorrow....you ain't gonna worry about it anyway.....it'll all come to a head in due time...good luck on your comet.....pop
pop/glenda

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I work when I feel like it and if I don't feel like it I don't work, too much pressure takes the fun out of it. When I decide I am gonna do something, either a car or a section of a car I do make myself a checklist and set goals and timelines, it's just how I best accomplish stuff.
Careful your character's showing!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Since I started this thread 2 years ago a lot has changed for me, the Comet is actually getting worked on, the shed never got more done to it and the garden project is just now all but done :roll: However those things are happening.

I have been thinking of taking this thread a little further to help out anyone considering undertaking a project, I have a little more experience now myself :P and ask other guys on here for input as well, I am just going to add comments as I think about them and others can build on that or go a different direction if they want, feel free to comment.

Some of the major categories that come to mind right off my head are; BUDGET (how much am I willing to spend or can afford), SKILLS ( what can I do or am willing to learn), TOOLS (what tools do I have or can I acquire to do what I want to do), SPACE (do I have a place to do this), DEDICATION (do I have the drive and determination to see this project through), VISION (do I have a vision or end goal for what I am doing), PURPOSE (what is my reason for doing this). There are probably more than this but others can add to it.

Let me start and address at least a few of these from my own experience.

BUDGET - We have talked some about this here already, budget does not necessarily mean not spending any money, for me this is a hobby, there will never be a monetary return on what I am investing (this fits in with purpose). As some have said here, if I save some money here I can afford something else that I want later, as an example, I changed my plans from using the 8" (4 bolt) rear that was in the Comet already and bought the 8.8 Explorer rear and narrowed it myself, the reason? It was cheaper to buy and modify it than to modify the 8" and I got disc brakes, limited slip and easy to obtain replacement parts. I also learned a lot along the way and it was a fun project.

SKILLS - I have particular skills already, I may not be an expert or proficient in a lot of areas but I am willing to learn, for me the way to learn is to get a lot of advice from those that have done it, read a lot, but ultimately you have to put your hands on the tool and start working, gain experience. One thing to consider however is some things (most) require that you do a safe job, I have to assume your end goal involves driving your car down the road, track, etc. you are putting yourself and others in danger if you do dodgy work and something breaks while you are driving down the highway at 60 MPH, I mean if you have a poorly done interior that is one thing, poorly done (dangerous) brakes is another.

Also if you have the opportunity to help someone that is skilled at a particular job take it and learn from them, most guys are happy to teach you if they can and you are nice to them and help them in some way (don't be a hindrance)

TOOLS - You don't need the best. I don't have the best stuff, some of my stuff is better than others and I don't use my tools to make a living, this is a hobby. Harbor Freight is your friend, I know some people will criticize me for saying this because some of the tools sold there are one time use but they are priced accordingly, if you get two uses out of them then you are in gravy after that.

Here is my list of things I think are necessary if you are going to do most of the work yourself by my my experience so far;
4 1/2" angle grinder, multiples if you can afford them (HF sells them for around $10 up) by far the tool I use the most.
Sawzall with metal cutting blades, I buy the cheap blades and cut them to length if I need to cut in blind area, also it is the best thing to cut stuff back out if you mess up (like M2 crossmember :roll: ).
Jack Stands, they are cheap and safer than concrete blocks, etc, never work under your car with it just up on a jack, if you have materials and welding skills you can even make your own.
MIG Welder, I suggest you at least get a MIG that is capable of using shielding gas, I started out using flux core wire, gas is much cleaner and cheaper in the long run, I won't go back to flux core if I can help it. My welder is a cheap HF 110V welder, I can weld some thick stuff with it but is not rated for it (chamfer cut the edges and multiple passes) if I could afford a better welder I would get one but I really don't have any complaints with mine, I bought it probably 20 years ago and it still works fine.
Floor and other assorted jacks, I use my cheap HF floor jack a lot, I have had it a long time and would like to get another sometime, other jacks can be bottle jacks, old scissor jacks etc, just something to use when the floor jack won't fit.
Wrenches and socket sets, I have tons of hand tools that I have collected over the years, on old cars mostly you will need SAE but at least some metric tools will be needed depending on what you are doing. You can buy cheap as well (and I do) but I usually try and go a little better grade, they don't have to be Craftsman or Snap-On but I like nicer wrenches (I have several Buffalo tools I bought in HS and still use however).
Hammers, You can buy in sets, all kinds are good to have, I have a set of HF ball peen hammers with fiberglass handles I use mostly and have no complaints, you will need some various sledge hammers (short and long handles) and a set of body hammers if you are going to do any body work. Dead blow hammers an rubber mallets will prove indispensable.

Last in this category for now I will add safety equipment, glasses, gloves and dust mask, respirators etc should be utilized, won't do you any good to build the Comet of your dreams and not be able to enjoy it if you injure or maim yourself.

I will stop there for this post, add it if you have suggestions and I will talk about the other major categories next.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thought I would continue on some more of these.

SPACE - Having a place is important but you don't have to have a dedicated shop, some stuff you can do outside under a shade tree :P , When I first started working on my Comet last year I was working outside, it was a little bit of a hassle, I had to put everything away each day when I finished, weather effects when you can work, etc, however you can do it, guys have been for a very long time. Having a place inside really helps but you might have to let something else sit outside (my truck lost it's place in the shed for now) even now my shed is open on the front so weather still effects me but usually don't have to worry about getting rained on, I try to keep my tools put away every day but if I don't it isn't a big deal. Lastly, I certainly love having a smooth concrete floor to work on but not necessary, I have laid on the ground before or an old rug or cardboard, it can be done, it all depends on where you live and what you have.

DEDICATION - Some things you have to do are just not fun, they are dirty and sometimes even dangerous. You might not want to lay on your back and weld with the "hot balls" raining down on you, sometimes it is hot out, sometimes it is cold, so you have to be honest with yourself before you start and ask yourself if you honestly can handle those kind of things. When you look at building on a budget you are going to have to do most of the work yourself unless you have a really big budget :roll: in that case you don't even need to read this post because most of it won't apply to you.

VISION - Not so much a requirement for budget building but you need to have some sort of vision for what you want to accomplish, are you restoring your car to factory original? Building a hot rod? Something in-between? For me I needed at least a loose vision of what I wanted to accomplish, it is important when I make trips to the salvage yard to look for parts that help me fulfill my vision. Also if you can come up with a fairly clear vision you don't have to worry about others coming along and have you build their vision (unless you really like their vision) As an example I pretty much always have wanted to keep my Comet a 6 cylinder, many, many people have tried to convince me to put a V8 in there, not part of my vision so I have an easy time saying no. This is not to say never take advice from people, and if you ask for opinions be ready to listen, someone might give you a good idea that fits within your vision.

The last I can say on my vision is it has changed some over the 39 years I have owned my Comet, I guess that is one of the hazards of having a car a really long time :roll:

PURPOSE - The last category I listed earlier was purpose. Again this is not strictly a budget thing but if your purpose is to build a concourse car then that will effect your budget, where you work, what skills and tools you have, etc. My purpose is to have a car I drive places, this steers a lot of what I do, the parts I buy etc, because I try to avoid custom parts for the most part, especially those that might have a tendency to fail while I am on the road, a couple of examples; Tires, I chose really standard sized tires, I bought them off the floor at Wal-Mart, while the 15" and 16" tires are coming more rare everyday, these are common sizes there is more of a possibility if I blow a tire on the road I can get a replacement more easily. Second example is starter, it is the common as dirt Ford starter that is on just about every car they built (V6 and V8) for the last several years, any parts store should have one in stock. This are just a couple of examples, don't think everything on my car is common because it is not (have to look back at vision to understand why). If your purpose is to haul your car to every show on a trailer or go down the track really fast then some of those things might not be so important to you.

Let me say the most important thing if you are building a car for yourself is do what you want to do and don't worry about what other people say, just make sure it is safe if you are going to have on the road or track etc.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread