Gas Tank Cleaner Sealer

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Gas Tank Cleaner Sealer

Post by lavron »

This is not about my Comet, it's gas tank is beyond hope, but this is info that could be relevant.

I tested my Ford 600 series tractor today by using a temporary rig to hold and deliver gas and it ran fine, so I am thinking I need to clean and seal my gas tank.

Looking for suggestions on products, I will probably use POR 15 kit but didn't know if anyone had experience with it, it is $62 but I think I just need the sealer ($36 a quart) because I already have a gallon each of the cleaner/degreaser and metal prep which are the two other products supplied with the kit. If there is a another product better let me know.

I don't have any rust in my tank but I think I have varnish that is stopping up the fuel outlet (it is a gravity feed system) intermittently and I can see flakes of amber stuff in the fuel filter.

Anyhow just looking for suggestions on sealers.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Gas Tank Cleaner Sealer

Post by poboyjo65 »

Before I narrowed my frame & the stock tank would no longer fit I had a radiator shop clean & patch my tank & then I used REDKOTE on it. I didn't use the tank long but had no trouble with it. & I cut the tank apart afterwards to use the top & plus I wanted to check out the redkote. it seemed to be stuck on really well. I have some pics I'll try to find. it was about 27 bucks a qt. & would seal a 15 gal tank. it said 3-4 thin coats was better than 1 thick one. I got it at oreillys I think.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

NOT EVERYTIME BUT MOST,a couple of light coats is better then 1 heavy coat on most anything..... :shock: 8)
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

One reason is that it sloshes around in there better & covers everything better if it is thin. & you can thin it up too if it gets too thick.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Another thing it said you could re use what was left over.

The reason you see rust around the holes is because I filled the tank with water & let it sit for a week or more before I cut it open. I thought it might help with the fumes,, & it did! I didn't get blown up when I cut it open.
Imageupload photo
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

6t5404

Post by 6t5404 »

I just did my tank. I used Evaporust, got it at Ace Hdwre. Also available at WalMart. $25/gal.
Pour in, let set for an hour, turn it, let set, etc. Do this for about 12-15 hours, cleans great. (and re-usable) Then used Red Coat from Oreilly's.
I bought a gallon thinking the 20 gallon tank would take more than a quart, but used about 2 quarts of it. Did a nice job.
Getting ready to do 2 of my other cars.