Changing My Policy for Wasps

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Changing My Policy for Wasps

Post by lavron »

I used to have a live and let live policy with wasps, kinda if you don't mess with me I won't bother you, however that policy has come back to literally sting me twice (actually multiple times but two incidences) last one was there or four days ago, I saw a large reddish orange wasp on the driveway right in front of the shed and like most outdoor creatures I just kinda ignored him (mostly happens for most stuff except snakes and scorpions) next thing I know he bangs me on my right inner forearm (yes the tender part), I guess while I wasn't looking he flew up and landed on my belly and my arm brushed too close to him, he went to the ground after that and lost the war.

Then again my arm was really swollen for three days from wrist to just short of my elbow, from this day on if I see a wasp that is in position to be killed I will, they now join the same endangered group as scorpions around here (been stung by a scorpions 3 times and while painful it did not have any lingering effects). Actually I will preclude Dirt Dobbers from this policy because you really have to work to get one of them to sting you, the mud nests are still open game if they are on my house etc.

So anyway there is my change and the end to my kindness to wasps and hornets.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Changing My Policy for Wasps

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have a similar policy as your new one. Open season year around. sure I have the advantage in the slow winter cold, but I'm outnumbered on the warmer days. I keep a tennis racket hanging in the shop, on call, & I've gotten pretty good with my cap over the years! Wasps ,spiders & hornets get no mercy around here. dirt dobbers are a menace but fast & hard to hit, so I dont waste time on them unless they are pestersome. & I never have been stung by one, I didnt think they could sting, so I just shoo them away.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I HATE WASPS;I KILL everyone I can!! I was almost taken out by a swarm,never again,NO MERCY!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I TAKE EM OUT !! THEY HURT ol pop ,,,,,I HURT THEM ! AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO HURT ME 1ST......a big horse fly is one of the worst,was mounting a race tire the other day and a horse fly nailed me twice on the back,,I couldn't reach him,,,but awhile later he came back and landed on my shoulder ,,,that's where he gave up the GHOST,I cupped him in the palm of my hand and sgueezed the life out of him...had a messy palm but that big fly went to greener pastures.
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

I just took out a wasps nest the other day. A big one! The little suckers came after me! I returned with some killer spray and annihilated what was left! :twisted:
Kill'em all I say!!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The wasp like to build nests everywhere. I wait till dark when they come back to their combs, then I nail them with Chemtool carb cleaner. Dead instantly and they don't know what hit them. I hate it when they keep coming back and building combs in hidden recesses on the cars. Bastards are like salmon, they keep coming back to the place of their birth. they always look in the same place. Move the car and they are lost.
Ron

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

Question: Is this now official Comet Central policy, or just your own personal policy? I don't want to let a wasp live if it gets me perma-banned.... ;)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

anoNY42 wrote:Question: Is this now official Comet Central policy, or just your own personal policy? I don't want to let a wasp live if it gets me perma-banned.... ;)
Well it is personal but might should be a Comet Central Policy it seems everyone is in agreement :P

I have to say the last time I was stung it was on the ear lobe and side on my face, but this one was much worse on my arm, it was a different kind of wasp or maybe a hornet, I am not sure and there is not enough left for an autopsy :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I see that you painted your hood on your sigpic Mike, I like it! I'm still working on mine & the plan is satin or flat black,leaning toward satin but I'm back & forth :roll: . I plan to have my top of dash painted at the same time & since my cowl is ruff textured & I'll have the windshield out (new one going in) I am thinking of painting the cowl too since it is all right there together. I noticed you painted your cowl too on the sigpic, Is that just to help you decide or are you painting it too?

On the wasp thing, I have a buddy who catches wasp & makes them sting him on the elbow,says it helps his arthritis. :? :o :roll:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I see that you painted your hood on your sigpic Mike, I like it! I'm still working on mine & the plan is satin or flat black,leaning toward satin but I'm back & forth
I think I will go satin, I am afraid flat will be too hard to not show hand prints, etc, and hard to get cleaned back off.
poboyjo65 wrote:I noticed you painted your cowl too on the sigpic, Is that just to help you decide or are you painting it too?
Yes I think I want to paint it as well, I also blacked out window and door frames but not sure I want to do that yet, I might go ahead, depending on what else I have going on ad get the grill out and get it painted and finished up as well as my rear trim so it will be ready when I get too it, may do the same with the hood but not sure I want it painted while I am still working on the mechanicals (or will be) I was looking at it and thinking about going ahead and doing black wiper arms, but I do want the chrome around the windshield to stay chrome, I can't decide if the wipers would look more period correct chrome, or just accept my car is not going to look that period correct anyway.

The only other thing I was considering blacking out was the rear spear, I have a set or washboards (the trim inside the spear) from a 404, they are not great but I could probably clean them up and paint them, it would solve my missing COMET letter as well because they are attached too them (I am actually not missing the letters but some have broken pins)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The problem I have with wasps is not only do they sting me, but I usually self-inflict about as much pain trying to get away from them. I realize that after the skirmish, but in the heat of battle, I just can't help myself. All I want to do is get away from them before the next blow falls, and physical obstacles do not come into consideration. :roll:
Jim