Aussie Drag Challenge

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Aussie Comet 1964

Aussie Drag Challenge

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

last month I took the Comet on a Drag trip, attending 3 race events, for 8 days straight of racing, travelling 4500kms or about 3000miles with 1500kms or about 1000miles driving the Comet, the first was the 3rd round of the Australian national series in Mildura, had to drive through flood water to get there with the highway only just reopening the night before, this is a 1/8 mile track, didn`t have much luck there with a 0.005 breakout in the 1st round, had to load up & hit the road to drive 6hrs to Melbourne, arrived 10pm at a friends place sunday night & unloaded & left the Merc truck with him for the week, then drove to the track to start Drag Challenge monday morning, this is the 3rd year for Drag Challenge & the Comet has done all 3, this is 5 tracks in 5 days & driving the cars about 1000miles to the tracks, there were 100 cars this year & only about 70 made the distance, with a few engines, gearboxes & other breakages & 2 were smashed & totaled from no fault of the drivers, other cars ran into them while they were parked off the road. The Comet didn`t miss a beat & travelled well, it sits on about 4000rpm with the 4.11 gears, I competed in the DYO class which had 50 entries, over the 5 tracks I ran within 0.0126 seconds at each track, I was pretty happy with the car, I managed to get the time I wanted at each track within 3-4 runs & I finished 3rd place. this meet finished friday & on saturday was another meet, the Australian prostreet & nitro funny car meet, so I raced the pro DYO class,made 2nd round but had a 0.002 redlight, bit dissapointing after doing in qualifying 0.001, 0.002 & 0.002 RTs, had loaded all the spares in the car, when they asked if we wanted to do some grudge runs, so went out for some more runs, it runs 0.3 slower with the trunk & back seat completely full, had 38 passes in total over the week, great times with some great people, don`t want to know how much fuel I went through. heres a few pics. John

Mildura Drags

Drag Challenge

1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

loman

Re: Aussie Drag Challenge

Post by loman »

Congrats on a great week of racing. You have one bada$$ Comet to withstand the flogging you gave her. I always get a little jealous when I see your Comet and the Mercury tow vehicle together.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT was a heck of a week...there is just something special about a little red 64 comet,it don't surprise me yours did so good,so congrats and get some rest !! and it goes without saying you have the sharpest hauler,thanks for the PIC's....they are some great looking rides,,but you have the best one to OL POP.....thanks ...pop
pop/glenda

BJB

Post by BJB »

Top pictures John.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x3!! Some great lookin' stuff but nothing like the Merc truck AND Comet!! :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

loman, the Comet has survived well, this engine has been in for 5-6 years & has about 30000 miles on it, it is a solid roller cam too !!
bruce I think I took over 400 pics on that trip, some nice cars went along, but as Pop knows its hard to beat a red 64 Comet !!
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

albert

Post by albert »

Great commitment and terrific pictures, thanks for sharing, always like Aussie vehicles. they are pleasantly different.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust