Carb Cleaner Rant

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Rocket989

Carb Cleaner Rant

Post by Rocket989 »

WTH?!? I've always used the "can of liquid cancer" to soak carbs when rebuilding. For some reason that syrupy crap WORKS! Better than any other solvent I've tried. I'd use it 'til it got dirty enough, then pitch it (now that means taking to a haz-mat disposal location - which actually exist these days!). Well, doing the 600DP, the friggin disassembled main body won't fit in the f'ing can! I did an 1850 last year or two years ago and SWEAR it fit...ker'plunk! Did they make the D*** can smaller??? Only ever done Holleys and they always fit (before)! :x :x :lol: :shock: :( :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Re: Carb Cleaner Rant

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds like it's gone the way of the "half-gallon" of ice cream and the "5 lb." sack of sugar. :roll:
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jim - Suspect you're right!! Can says 96oz now...wish I had an old one, bet it said 128!! :x :D :lol:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that stuff gives me a headache for 2or3 days,,I hate to breath those fumes.......pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yeah, nasty stuff for sure! I forgot you're not supposed to leave stuff swimming too long!! The bowls and metering blocks lost some of their gold! :? :D :lol:

Probably needed to anyway, hardest I've ever had to work to get one apart...like the secondary metering block was welded to the main body!! Let the area soak in Kroil overnight and about still whooped me! Those new(er) reusable gaskets are great!!

It's an older one is I'm gonna put the power valve check ball kit in an shuck out the extra loot for an electrical choke conversion.

StPro

Post by StPro »

I agree carb cleaner is nasty stuff, necessary but nasty. One of the guys I use to build cars with was busy scrubbing down a carb one day bare handed in that stuff. I told him how bad that is for him. I went and got him 2 pair of nitrite gloves he said he was almost done and didn't put them on. About 4 hrs later we in the taking a break in the office and I told him to close his eyes and sit still and listen to his body. I said do you hear the buzzing and feel the room spinning and the tingling in your hands. He said yea. I said that is the solvents running through your blood and f-ing you up. He said I was scaring him. I said you should be
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT