Replacement Gauges

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Replacement Gauges

Post by lavron »

May have asked this before and maybe it has been answered before so I might be lazy for not searching.

I have wanted to replace my dash gauges for years and considered mechanical gauges, you guys think electric ones are just as accurate now days?

The Volt and fuel would, of course, be electric, it would just be oil and temp that would be mechanical, if I went that route.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Replacement Gauges

Post by popscomet »

ARE you talking about a cluster of gauges under the dash?? or trying to get then installed in place of the orignals??.....we have electrical for oil and temp in GLENDA'S 56 ford,,seem to work just fine and has since back in the early 90's when we put them in,,,we even installed a temp gauge for the AT....
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:ARE you talking about a cluster of gauges under the dash??
I am going to try and build a new dash cluster, I have a second unit I was going to modify, I measured the faceplate (which is separated from the backplate) and it looks like 2 5/8" gauges would line right up in the back and hide their bezels.

Like these;

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2315/10002/-1

I can get all 4 gauges that match and can choose between manual and electric on water temp and oil pressure.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BE easier to run a wire ,then a oil line or the bulb for the temp....jmo...I have all electrical for my cobra kit car,every one of them,,,,,wire is more simple to mess with and route thru the firewall
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:BE easier to run a wire ,then a oil line or the bulb for the temp....jmo...I have all electrical for my cobra kit car,every one of them,,,,,wire is more simple to mess with and route thru the firewall
I agree with Pop. the wires are easier. also no chance in the wire leaking oil on your carpet either like with a manual. the manual temp probe needs a bigger hole to go thru the firewall so an extra strike against it. as far as which is best I dont have a clue. I suppose either could fail.
Johno

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

Hi Mike, this is what I did with my gauges, they are autometer 2 1/16" gauges, the oil is mechanical, they fit within the bezel, there is some cutting required with the metal backer, but the gauge mounts flat against the metal. John

1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Aussie Comet 1964 wrote: there is some cutting required with the metal backer
I am ok with cutting the metal backer, this is a spare cluster I have anyway that I have actually done some repair work too, the biggest issue is finding the rest of it around here, I have the bezel part only in hands at the moment, I think I know where the rest is and will have to go digging sometime :roll:

Back in the day it seemed like performance folks always wanted the mechanical gauges, things may be different now days because maybe the electrics are more accurate.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

this is a back pic so you can see the modification

1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck