Pole barn roof

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

Pole barn roof

Post by loman »

My shed has its original corrugated tin roof. There are a few leaks that I have to patch every year. Today I received a quote to put a new roof on it. I asked what gauge metal they quoted and they replied with 29 gauge. Is that normal size thickness for a pole barn/machine shed? Anybody here got a pole barn and know what size metal is on their roof?

poboyjo65

Re: Pole barn roof

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've put a bunch on but could not tell you what is norm. I'd ask what the warranty is on it. on the painted metal roofing the more years will cost more, some is 20yr some 30yr & so on. the cheaper painted metal fades quick because it isn't baked on. not sure about the galvanized tin.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

29 ga. is on the light side. I like 22 ga. becuse of the amount of wind I get at times 40 to 60 mph. 24 ga. Is the norm in this area. It depends on the weather and elements in your area. It also depends on what it is attached to. You can get away with a lighter ga. on a sheeted roof.

Matt

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

29 gauge is what my steel building is. It is hurricane rated at 110 mph. That is the standard thickness in this part of Florida.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Up here in my part of Canadia we have 26 ga and 29 ga commonly available. I prefer 26 for roofs (rooves?) and 29 for walls but thats just me.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

loman

Post by loman »

I talked to a couple of people tonight and everyone agreed that 29 might be a little light for this area and suggested going with the heavier gauge. I also got a name from a carpenter that his boss refers all metal roofs to. I think I will give him a call and then call the guy I already received a quote and ask him to refigure the quote for 26 gauge metal. Thanks for everyone's input.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Lip Ripper wrote:29 gauge is what my steel building is. It is hurricane rated at 110 mph. That is the standard thickness in this part of Florida.
Is yours corragated tin? If so I'm intrested in how your tin is attached. Maybe there is a better way? The bad spots here are roof corners. Sometimes the pole barn screws get pulled though the even the 24ga. tin.

Matt