Steering Problem Solved!

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Maine Pilot

Steering Problem Solved!

Post by Maine Pilot »

Over the past year I've posted several threads in the Forum concerning the steering instability of my '66 Caliente whenever I exceeded 50 mph. Crosswinds or even passing vehicles would send the front end swinging wildly--a totally dangerous situation.

I initially brought the car in for an alignment. That didn't cure it, but the shop suggested it might be due to an over-tightening of the steering box adjustment. For liability purposes, the shop wouldn't adjust it so I tried loosening up myself, but to no avail.

Responses to my predicament on the Forum suggested possibly going to a rack & pinion or even an electric steering set up. Unfortunately, those were very expensive options. None of the after market car catalogs offered anything for the '66-67 models, (isn't that always the case?)

Finally, after an exhaustive internet search, I found a business that specializes in the rebuilding of steering boxes, StangersSite, http://www.stangerssite.com/GBrebuilding.html , in San Antonio, TX. After a couple of phone calls I removed the steering box and sent it via a Priority U.S. postal box. After about 6 weeks, it was returned, painted in like-new condition. The cost was under $200 and well worth it.

Had a mechanic re-install it this weekend and now the car drives like it came right out of the factory!

Just wanted everyone to know about this resource.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Rocket989

Re: Steering Problem Solved!

Post by Rocket989 »

Glad to hear that man & also good to hear it was returned in a fairly reasonable amount of time. Maybe Stanger is getting back on the straight & narrow. There for a while I would have cautioned anyone against sending him a box, lest you NEVER see it again or physically need to go retrieve it (from personal experience). Folks have seemed to have good luck ordering parts, just not turn-around on boxes. A good alternative is Chockostang (Dan)...he typically turns 'em around same week.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Wish I had heard from you, Rocket, before I sent out my steering box to Strangar's. A month after sending the unit out and not hearing anything about its status, I started calling the owner, (it sounds as if there's only one person at this company), a couple of times a week. Evidently, that was enough to motivate him to work on my unit. I may not have done business with him had I heard of negative reviews of his business. On the other hand, I had no further options with my steering unit.

At any rate, at least the unit was returned in good working order and I'm happy with the results.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on MP...no question about the quality of the work, just the time & communication. Some folks had waited > year! :shock: I'd hope that's all improved but no way I'll ever know! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)