Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Comechero65

Re: Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Post by Comechero65 »

tomb22 wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:tomb22, I have no idea how the comp would mount in place of the ac eliminator so you would have to discuss that with CAA or someone here what you would need. All the other parts you can get from CAA though since the comp would go on the pass side i think the hoses would be longer so standard mustang hoses like i used on mine would probably be too short. You may have to have the suction hose from the evap to comp custom made unless you can get the hose and cut it yourself and install your own fittings.
I have never dealt with late model engine with serp system so most of that is alien to me. If you were to install the comp on the drivers side is what I am the most familiar with. v-blets is what I'm most familiar with.

Looking at another Marque or similar years to see what they used would help.
Ron
The black bracket is off the Grand Marque. You unbolt the silver bracket which removes the pulley and the compressor just bolts in it's place with it's own pulley. I used this delete bracket to get a length for the belt is all, but you are right I'll have to get shorter hoses. I'll need to talk to them about that and the fact that I need a serpentine pulley on the compressor.

By the way Ron the picture you saw is my signature picture and I'm now using postimages.org to load pictures. A lot faster and free.
Longer hoses not shorter would be needed. Might have to have custom hoses made. A good ac shop could make you up hoses to fit. I have done that.
If the comp just bolts on in place of the comp eliminator that makes that part easy. You may still need a belt length change but that comes after you get the rest set up.
Swapping the comp pulley to a serp one is easy just replace one with the other. You may have to do some spacing to get the alignment correct but that's easy.

I have images.org already I just need to find a way to copy the folders out of PB and move them to my computer then later to Postimages. Or here once Mike gets it setup.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

With your set up I'd want a condenser with fittings & dryer to exit on passenger side & come thru the rad support on that side. your application is like mine in that you're better off making all your hoses,& would look so much neater. I think you can get your complete ac kit like this, with a hose kit,instead of pre-made hoses. all the hoses/fittings should be in the kit & you prefit it all ,cut the hoses, mark how you want the fittings clocked, then carry them to oreilys or some parts house to have them crimped. having all of your details wrote down, kind of a check sheet, when you call in the kit will help!! :wink:
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

tomb22,
I mentioned having custom hoses made but there may be an easier solution. Early mustang 6 cyl used a high mount comp bracket which put the comp up high on the pass side of the engine. So because of that location the suction hose was routed to the pass side and would be about the same length and location as where you will mount your comp.
The discharge hose from the comp to the condensor routed above the engine and through the rad support to the condensor on the drivers side. So that would make that hose long enough to reach the condensor. The liquid line with sight glass routes along the drivers side the same whether 6 cyl or v8.

The 6 cyl hoses probably have the same fittings that would fit the Sanden comp but the fittings may be straight with the hose. To connect to the comp may need to have a 90 deg bend. If the hoses could be ordered with the 90 deg fittings already on the hose would be an easy fit. If not your local ac shop could easily fab 90 deg bend adapter fittings. Or the CAA or Vintage may have those adapter fittings already.

In other words order the suction hose and discharge hose for the 64 1/2 to 67 mustang 6 cyl and it should fit. Order the liquid line which will be the same for either engine.

This is assuming you would be using an under dash evap unit as used by 65/66 mustangs and comets. If you use an all-in-one unit as sold by Vintage and CAA then those hoses would be different but I believe the hoses come unterminated on one end so you custom cut the hoses and install your own fittings. You would still specify 6 cyl mounting to get the hoses routed to the pass side for those two hoses. I assume they would provide the right length hose for the liquid line to the condensor which should route on the pass side and through the rad support to the condensor at the drivers side.

Here's what the 6 cyl looks like so location would be similar because of where you are mounting yours.

Ron
Attachments
PS1133.jpg
PS1133.jpg (204.92 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks again guys for all your input. I'll be calling Classic Auto Air and I'll let you guys know what we came up with. I didn't know that Oreilys will crimp AC hoses. I like that idea.
tomb's 65

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I never knew Oreilys could crimp hoses. Question is do they have all the varied fittings. I know a good ac shop has all the fittings that might be needed. I have used a local shop to make a hose for me.
Ron

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

AC crimp is different than hydraulic. You gotta find somebody that knows the difference and has the correct crimping dies. Most don't.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

vicegrip wrote:AC crimp is different than hydraulic. You gotta find somebody that knows the difference and has the correct crimping dies. Most don't.
The oreilys here in my town & the one in the next town over can do both AC hoses & hydra. hoses. not sure all of their stores can. Tom your AC kit will come with an assortment of fittings but oreilys has them or if you need an oddball fitting where ever you get your kit will have them or one of the links on the first page has them. the link that visegrip put up > Coldhose, has an oddball fitting that I need for the back of my underdash unit & I couldn't find any where else & will save me from using an adaptor. ( it is a #8 flare fitting made for #10 hose).

another thing I had trouble finding, since my set up is odd, & no AC shops nearby, is the hardlines that make it neater to come through the rad support. 3 are needed , one from drier thru rad support,one from condenser thru rad support ,& one from condenser to drier. vintage air makes ''U bend Em'' lines in different lengths & with different ends. though I didnt see them on their site summit has them;
https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... rant-lines

Tom if I were doing your set up I'd want my motor in,heater hoses , battery & radiator all installed before I ordered the kit. I definitely would not order any pre-made hoses. I've been staring at mine for over a week & still undecided exactly how I want my hoses to route. I want enough slack to be able to tie the comp over to the side without unhooking any hoses to pull the motor if ever needed but I also want it neat & not in the way of getting to the spark plugs & stuff.
you can get the sanden comp with hose outlets to the side like mine or on the back. out the back may be better for you. the big hose goes to the firewall & the smaller one could come under the compressor. But I'd want to stare at it for a bit before I decided. there is a link on the first page with the dimensions of the sanden.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Should you have a problem with the Sanden being a tight fit I can recommend the 'shorty' from CAA part # 5-156. Same capacity as other models but the case is shorter in length which gives you a lttle more working room. What i installed on mine. Can probably be ordered with either a v-belt or serp pulley. Or you can easily swap the pulley yoiurself.
Ron
Attachments
IMG_6380.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG (66.04 KiB) Viewed 2897 times

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Have you guys noticed that the generic Sanden compressor seems to always have a 2 groove pulley...and you only want 1 ? If you're starting from scratch,you might consider a Nippon Denso compressor out of a 97 Chrysler Concorde. Only one v belt pulley,bolts up like a Sanden. Seal kits are cheap and easy to install. Different manifolds and port configurations are available. I have about 50 bucks in mine,been working good for 2 yrs. And only one groove.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

vicegrip wrote:Have you guys noticed that the generic Sanden compressor seems to always have a 2 groove pulley...and you only want 1 ? If you're starting from scratch,you might consider a Nippon Denso compressor out of a 97 Chrysler Concorde. Only one v belt pulley,bolts up like a Sanden. Seal kits are cheap and easy to install. Different manifolds and port configurations are available. I have about 50 bucks in mine,been working good for 2 yrs. And only one groove.
It's my belief they don't have 1 groove pulleys on Sanden comps. I looked years ago and could never find one with a 1 groove. But at least with the two groove you have two choices for belt location.

I once installed a Nippon Denso from a toyota on a mustang. It had a single groove and fit just fine. Had to find the right fittings that fit it to get the size and orientation for my setup. found those by checking other cars in that peiod of time. Worked very well for awhile. had to replace it once which was simple. Was still on the car when I sold it.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Comechero65 wrote:I would like to mention there is some misinformation here and a lack of knowledge
Ron
Hey Ron that's a hell of a way to come back- swinging at the walls! :?
A better way to approach this is to cite exactly where you THINK the misinformation and lack of knowledge is specifically. Then stating why you think it's wrong.
I think most folks here are trying to share accurate knowledge. That's what this forum is right? A place to SHARE information and progress on our builds.
It's not a pissing contest. Or a "I know more than you" contest.

Anyhow, just asking for clarification on your comment.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

comethead wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:I would like to mention there is some misinformation here and a lack of knowledge
Ron
Hey Ron that's a hell of a way to come back- swinging at the walls! :?
A better way to approach this is to cite exactly where you THINK the misinformation and lack of knowledge is specifically. Then stating why you think it's wrong.
I think most folks here are trying to share accurate knowledge. That's what this forum is right? A place to SHARE information and progress on our builds.
It's not a pissing contest. Or a "I know more than you" contest.

Anyhow, just asking for clarification on your comment.

Joe
Well I think I said that wrong. Sorry. What i should have said was several different opinions that could lead in different directions. I thought I should jump in here and try to help out. AC and refriggeration has been my whole life so have a little experience in that area. Not trying to step on any toes just trying to help out. What else can i say?
I'm not going to go back and reread everything and pick out the details. Better to just go on from here. I input some ideas now others can do the same. Then we can see how it goes. Does that make sense?
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Good deal Ron.
I agree on moving forward. This is a damn good thread and AC is always a great option on our old cars. Looks like Johns got the ball rolling in the right direction and scored on that beautiful under dash unit. :D

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:Good deal Ron.
I agree on moving forward. This is a damn good thread and AC is always a great option on our old cars. Looks like Johns got the ball rolling in the right direction and scored on that beautiful under dash unit. :D

Joe
:shock: think I'll just roll my windows down...how many opinions can I expect to get on how to do that ??but I betcha someone is an expert on window rolling :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink: pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Pop my little ones get a big thrill out of rolling the Comet windows down!!! Man it's like technology from a lost civilization! :lol: :lol:

Joe