Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Comechero65

Re: Air Conditioning - one piece at a time.

Post by Comechero65 »

Goader190 wrote:My 65 doesn't have a/c but do want it houston heat is a mfer what year and model ford or mercury should i be looking for to rob the a/c box from
If you were going to use a ford v8 I would recommend a ford underdash unit either factory or aftermarket then get all the parts as would be used on an early mustang. That's what I did. But since you are not planning on a ford engine you would be on your own to mate everything up. You would have to get together with your local ac shop to fab hoses that fit.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm going to put the focus of this thread back on ''one piece at a time'' for a minute to post what I spent buying all the pieces, just in case anyone wants to know & then y'all can have it back.

sanden compressor......................200.00
16x18 condenser..........................85.00
shorty drier................................21.00
expansion valve...........................16.00
u bend em hard lines.....................40.00
o ring fittings [4]..........................30.00
flare fittings [2]...........................11.00
rubber hoses...............................35.00
cork tape...................................19.00
freon switch & pigtail.....................12.50
shipping......................................46.50
flushing canister.............................38.00
*flush..........................................20.00 *[there is an aerosol flush that would save the cost of the canister @ part stores]

I also spent 162.00 on pulleys & 20.00 on an idler pulley that I needed because of my setup & lack of room. I may have found these cheaper by getting something from a junkyard but I went with a billet underdrive set up that I kinda wanted anyway.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

What was your source for parts? In case anyone wants to know, if you didn't already say.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:What was your source for parts? In case anyone wants to know, if you didn't already say.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike I mentioned at the start a few reasons why I was going to get the parts one piece at a time. because my rad ,timing cover,w pump & all that jazz is not oem. so I was thinking there may be problems with pre-made hoses & possibly other parts not working or not oriented neat like I want. Another big reason is I could buy it ,[pay for it] little at a time, & not feel that big sickening feeling you get after laying down a wad of cat eyes all at once. 200 for the compressor was the most I spent at once.but trying not to get nailed for shipping too bad
comp was from jegs, free shipping
condenser,drier, 4 o-ring fittings,& cork tape from https://nostalgicac.com/ shipping was 19$ !!
2 flare fittings ,switch & pigtail fromhttps://coldhose.com/ shipping 6.50
expansion valve, u bend em hardlines,idler pulley from summit . 20 shipping. this is where I shot my toe, I got it in 2 orders, so I spent 10 extra bucks on shipping. dern that hurt my pride, my tightwaddedness, I went on PB&J samages & water only for a day or 2 just to make up for it. :roll:
I got the aluminum canister from e bay & the flush & rubber hoses from oreilys who will also crimp my fittings.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:so I spent 10 extra bucks on shipping. dern that hurt my pride, my tightwaddedness
Somehow I can relate to this :roll: :lol:

Even with a little wandering in the thread it has been great, I love to see guys not just buying pre-made stuff, not that, that is bad in all cases, but I would love to buy stuff and just bolt it on but that isn't going to happen at my house too much, just the way it is :roll: Sometimes you want to just throw up your hands and go buy something but I think there is a certain sense of accomplishment when you finally get something done that you had to research and find all the parts to work together and if you can save a buck or two that makes it all the sweeter :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mike I think I saved money. 40-50 bucks at least, but probably more. the underhood kit was more than what I spent,,,if you knock off the flush & canister & cork tape, which would not have come with the kit & I would have needed it either way. & I think I would have had to buy more parts for stuff that didnt fit my application if I went with the kit. & that really irks me to buy a kit & then still have to buy more parts.not to mention the kit that is that price has a sanden ''style'' compressor ( off brand) ,& I bought a real sanden. Buying a used underdash unit should save a guy money too ,,,,,if it dont leak! :lol:
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is the canister I got for flushing out the old underdash unit;

The fitting that came with it was some oddball. I use the common ''M'' style airhose fittings. instead of trying to find one to fit this thing I had a M style on hand that I JB welded it to the one that came with the canister;

This is what I was afraid I'd find when I flushed out the ac evaporator;
but it came from the new canister. even though it was new it had debris & something grey in it. just glad I looked in it before I used it. I used a gun cleaning rod to clean it out, & flushed it with pure grain alcohol. back in my younger days I would have made some punch with the leftovers but I'll just save it for flushing stuff or cleaning wounds. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Sorry to hear you had to buy a flushing kit to clean the parts out. I have installed 3 complete ac systems in different vehicles using used parts and never used a flushing kit. Just drained as much of the old oil out of the parts, blew out good with compressed air, then installed and added new oil and purged all the air out. Added a new drier then charged up and all have worked perfectly.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is a cheaper alternative than buying a canister. this one is an aerosol flush from oreilys but I'm sure other stores have one similar;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/inte ... ?q=AC+flus

It is a small price to pay considering the price of a compressor,condenser & drier. If your compressor goes down you not only ruin it but the condenser & drier will most likely be contaminated. I would suggest anyone using a 50 year old evaporator to flush it well,since you probably dont know any thing about its history. I don't claim to be an expert, but all of the experts suggest flushing them, so that's why I always do it, it just makes better sense to use a flushing agent to dilute & help un-stick oil or anything that may be in there.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOHN ,YOUR REASON SOUNDS MORE BETTER THEN RON;S WAY,SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS JUST LUCKY...IS HIS WORKING OR IS JUST WORKING TO GET BY..... :shock: :? POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I agree John has a valid reason for using the flushing kit. Probably a more thorough method than mine. Since i went to school to learn refrigeration I felt like I knew what to do by not using a flushing kit. Way back years ago when I did the first one don't think they even made a flushing kit. Just used what I had learned. And did things the hard way.
Even when I installed the used falcon evaporator in Comechero without a flushing kit and it has worked perfectly. It's not about how much you spend or the tools but how you do it.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:JOHN ,YOUR REASON SOUNDS MORE BETTER THEN RON;S WAY,SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS JUST LUCKY...IS HIS WORKING OR IS JUST WORKING TO GET BY..... :shock: :? POP
Pop I don't know but I don't like to rely on luck. I could have probably got away with not using a chemical, judging by what the rag that I had over the end of the line looked like after I flushed it, but I wasn't going to take that chance & gamble because I didnt know the history of the evaporator, [if it had a comp go down or how long it sat with open hoses]. not only could it cost money for new parts you would have to go thru it all again changing the parts & flushing the system.Also the flush helps to dissipate moisture which is an enemy of ac systems. so when you flush with compressed air even with a water trap on your air system it has moisture in that air, the chemical helps to dissipate it. The first one I did was about 20 years ago & I used a canister just like this one that was my boss's & he insisted I flush it out good. that system is still working in my old rusty truck. I read somewhere that if a sanden type compressor goes down then you need a new evaporator. but if a york or tecumseh comp goes down you can just flush it out. I dont know if this is so & dont want to find out. I dont spend money if I feel it isnt necessary but I dont like taking chances to lose a lot more money & time & labor when I know better. It's like building an old motor without vatting it out. people do it & get by but I'll pay the vat bill.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

good news Pop! here is a 64 car that says the dealer installed ac with his 4 sp.. said the dealer moved the unit forward so the shifter would clear.which is good because I dont think you could move it to the side enough to clear without putting the passenger in pain. :lol:
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/mercur ... speed.html
if you look at the pics it looks like it just barely clears. Nice car too! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I knew it could happen,,,4spd with ac... :!: :wink: 8) :D :D
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:I knew it could happen,,,4spd with ac... :!: :wink: 8) :D :D
I did too, & it is going to happen in mine. :lol: But I dont think you could get it from the factory with both, but I'm sure some dealers were talked into making it happen, in order to sell a car, as in the one in the link,which is said to have documentation. but it wasn't very common I'm sure. you just dont see them with both.
Johno