Old Mercury (Comet) Dealership uncovered

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
fairlaniac

Old Mercury (Comet) Dealership uncovered

Post by fairlaniac »

A few weeks ago in Georgetown, DE a contractor began to remove the siding from a building that was recently sold. An air conditioning service had occupied the building along Rt. 113. Under the siding was the remnants of the old Town & Country Motors, Inc. Mercury dealership. The contractor is filling in unwanted openings and by the looks of the supplies staged inside it may only be days until the exterior is repainted? So I snapped a few pictures mainly because I thought the old "COMET" hand painted logo was cool.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

popscomet

Re: Old Mercury (Comet) Dealership uncovered

Post by popscomet »

SO COOL !! thanks for taking the pic's and shareing,,,those were the good OLE DAYS when signs were hand painted ,but us that was around during that time ,wasn't awhare of it...it was just life !!..everyday life.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Yeah, Pop try telling your great grandson that phones used to all be connected by wires.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Yes something is really cool about the style, I guess I like the simplicity of it, now days they all look the same with what I am sure are "approved" signage.
popscomet wrote:those were the good OLE DAYS when signs were hand painted ,but us that was around during that time ,wasn't awhare of it...it was just life !!..everyday life
This is true, I haven't been around as long as Pops but I remember this kind of stuff and you took it for granted but seeing it revealed you are reminded of how cool it was.

My dad's last body shop building was the old GM dealership probably from the 40's when they moved out, still had the floor lift that was just a big cylinder in the floor with two big, non adjustable I-beams, also large partitions made of wood with frosted glass, the garage doors were even original, large bifolding doors. Yep he took it all out, it wasn't conducive to doing body work, he was worried about making a living. Funny thing is his old building that was caddy cornered across the street was the only survivor of a fire that burned the entire block, he moved out the day of the fire (it was burning at the far end of the block in the Producers Grain building) and never went back into the building but bought the other one and moved in, it was much bigger, both buildings are still standing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Yeah, Pop try telling your great grandson that phones used to all be connected by wires.
and a pay phone booth on the corner.....those days of seeing how many kids could fit in I booth and shut the door,will never happen again.....at least on a regular basis 8) 8) :lol: us boys would always try to have more girls...that way you could always cop a free feel and get away with it :!: :shock: :shock: :roll: :wink:
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Hahaha.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Hahaha.
yea GLENDA told me after that 1st phone booth,,,,,,,,I ain't getting in another,,,,,,,,,I had so many hands on me ,I didn't know I had that many places to feel :lol: :lol: :lol: ...with alittle Wesson oil we's felt like a can of sardines........we look back after 50 plus yrs...we had a blast...and it was clean honest fun.....but I swear we love those fat girls :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda