transmission jacks

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

transmission jacks

Post by loman »

I'm swapping c-6 trans in the race car. I hurt my back a bit fighting with installing it this weekend using a floor jack. I have to take it back out and looking to make things easier.Does anyone have any recommendations for tranny jacks? Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or anyone else?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: transmission jacks

Post by lavron »

HF used to have a saddle/adapter that worked with a floor jack but I don't see it on their website. If you can find something like that it would would be cheaper than a dedicated transmission jack.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I bought one of those HF jacks many ,many yrs ago that has a snout that fits a floor jack,,,but as I've had a lift more yrs then I can recall,,,,,,,what I did was weld a 2 in nipple on the top of the mast of my cherry picker,,I put that adapter on that nipple and use it to lift trans and rear ends in place,,I just have to lift them up on the adapter ,,,have done it this way for yrs...but like I said..ol pop has a lift,,,but the same adapter works off a floor jack..........in my younger days ,I wish I had a dollar for all the AT's I have put in by hand,,they are sure heavy,,,,but I would brag on how strong my little brother was and could always count on him to help me....BLESS HIS HEART,,,,brag on him alittle and he'd lift the tire off the ground,,,,,,I sure love that 66 yro old man today :shock: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I have the China Freight model. It works but there is a lot of slop in the scissors. I've put 2 trannys in/out with it in the 7 years I've owned it so I deal with it. It works well for changing VW dune buggy engines. I've used it a lot for that.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Same here...the HF one works well enough. The strap is about unusable in tight tunnels like our Comets (the rachet buckle is huge) but a couple giant zip ties works fine!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Same here...the HF one works well enough. The strap is about unusable in tight tunnels like our Comets (the rachet buckle is huge) but a couple giant zip ties works fine!
whom ever came up with those zip ties ,flat had a good idea.....those things are used on lots of things,,
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:
Rocket989 wrote:Same here...the HF one works well enough. The strap is about unusable in tight tunnels like our Comets (the rachet buckle is huge) but a couple giant zip ties works fine!
whom ever came up with those zip ties ,flat had a good idea.....those things are used on lots of things,,
LOL,, I used them on my Falcon stock car to hold the bottom of the front fender in place.
If the fender got pushed into the tire the tie broke before the tire was damaged :roll: :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
popscomet wrote:
LOL,, I used them on my Falcon stock car to hold the bottom of the front fender in place.
If the fender got pushed into the tire the tie broke before the tire was damaged :roll: :mrgreen:
THEY help hold rad's and brake lines in place.. on these race cars we have...just last week I used them to hold down a tarp on a trailer to keep stuff from blowing out while going down the hwy.... 8) :lol:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:
Invented in 1958 by an electrical company for aircraft wiring harnesses.
Check it out under "History" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie

Joe :mrgreen:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

loman

Post by loman »

I stopped by Harbor Freight and bought the 800 lb tranny jack. I think it should work. I'll have to jack the car up higher in order to get the jack with the trans on it underneath the car. Once my back stops hurting I'll double check my converter to flexplate clearance and pull the trans back out and make the necessary alterations.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:bought the 800 lb tranny jack
Have to think on that statement for a while :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

Used the jack last night and removed the C6 again. I'm going to have a bit of machine work done to the converter, and hopefully back in car later this week.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is my trans jack >floor jack adapter. White ash .

Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Didn't know you had a CNC milling machine, John. :lol: :lol:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Didn't know you had a CNC milling machine, John. :lol: :lol:
Jim
yea it's a black & decker! :lol:
Johno