iPhone, iPod, etc without a radio

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

iPhone, iPod, etc without a radio

Post by lavron »

I am a long way from ever doing this but not sure what to search for.

If anyone knows, I am wanting to do a sound system in my Comet but I don't want to install a radio/stereo system just be able to hook something like my iPhone up and have it play through some kind of speaker system.

Anyone have any idea of what I look for or what the components are called, if there is such a thing?

Thanks for any help and of course I am looking to do something on the cheap.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Re: iPhone, iPod, etc without a radio

Post by comethead »

I think once you install your speakers something like this to integrate them. Even has a built in amp
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1649258997

But there might be better options out there.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SING TO YOUR SELF,,,,,spend your money on performance.......my comet's radio ain't never worked,,still needs a speaker,,,I spent my money on headers ,camshaft and 2x4's and a 4spd.....and a set of tt d's..... JMO.... :shock: pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Ton of option's. Heck I got a free Bluetooth speaker from the Ford booth at Sebring Raceway last year. You can get a small round one, a small sound bar or the above if you want to install speakers. If you're just listening to your phone, why cut the package tray?

I still like listening to the radio so I am installing a hidden sound system in the Falcon. It is controlled with a small remote. $139 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232707512629?V ... 2707512629
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Post by Groover »

I think just about any "under the seat" box store car stereo amp these days has a headphone or RCA input connector on it. Then pick up any sort of blue tooth connector (google chrome cast or such for $15) and run that headphone jack output into the amp. Then speakers wherever you want them. If you don't want to cut the package tray, they sell kick panels with molded speaker holes in them. With a HT you may be able to slide speaker boxes under the front seats, but I can't do that with the convertible due to the reinforced seat boxes. Bottom line is it should be cheap and relatively easy.

Before I had my radio redone I was thinking of making a little slide out system with the ash tray where I'd have a dock for my iPod connected to the amp. You could probably stuff the amp up under the dash somewhere and then if you do speakers in the kick panels all the wiring is up front and concealed.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks guys these are good ideas I knew you would know :roll: :P
popscomet wrote:SING TO YOUR SELF,,,,,spend your money on performance
Radio/sound system is on the bottom of my list, might be slightly higher on my wife's list :P But I was wanting to check with everyone now so I can find out how this sort of thing is done in case I need to start planning for things before I build so I can wire, etc stuff ahead of time.

I did not want to do a radio because as I am traveling 1,000s of miles in the Comet it will be hard to keep a station tuned in :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:SING TO YOUR SELF,,,,,spend your money on performance.......my comet's radio ain't never worked,,still needs a speaker,,,I spent my money on headers ,camshaft and 2x4's and a 4spd.....and a set of tt d's..... JMO.... :shock: pop
Yep,when I had the 351C in Sassy last thing I needed was a radio,, motor sounded WAY too good!!
Still doesn't have a speaker for the radio either.
But now that I'm running a 6 like Lavron is gonna I want tunes too.
A friend did something for tunes like Groover was saying, plugs his phone into it sounds great.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I just ordered an AM/FM/CD bluetooth head unit for one of my tractors. I wanted the bluetooth because there really isn't a place to set your phone when you have it plugged in to aux cord when you're bouncing around a field. I think I paid just over $100 CAD for it. I haven't received it yet, but it had good reviews.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Fred, funny you say that. I hadn't had a V8 in years (V6 Rangers). My tranny started giving me fits a year after putting a Ford reman in 2 days before vacation. The next day I was so mad at Ford that I bought a Toyota Tundra with a V8. On the 1200 mile run to the keys towing our boat I never turned on the radio. I just listened to that V8 sing. Quarter of a million miles later we're still friends.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Stacey, your not the only one.
My neighbour had a different brand but same result, bought a Tundra after very poor dealership attitude.
I've never bought new,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Of course most of us probably don't know what hot rod inline Ford 6 sounds like :P The sound system would not be for me :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

BJB

Post by BJB »

Gent in Australia makes this ..Gravelrash Bluetooth Audio system...It can be located anywhere in the car .

Bruce

https://www.facebook.com/gravelrashbluetoothmodules/
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

Something like this would work. Just plugs into an amplifier. SO will need the correct amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691126/ ... gLmQPD_BwE

And as far as the package tray. When I bought my 64 it had Pioneer 6x9s in the tray. Standard Pioneer speaker covers with it. SO I made the holes a little bigger, mounted the speakers UNDER the package tray, put some 1/4" wire mesh over the speakers and then covered the whole tray in a nice black foam headliner material from the fabric store. Looked super clean and could not tell there were speakers there unless you stuck your head in the trunk or turned the stereo on.

Nothing wrong with some tunes to break up the exhaust notes on a long trip.

StPro

Post by StPro »

Am I missing somthing. If you buy a bluetooth Speaker it will play music off your i phone. They charge off a USB adapter You can plug into a lighter outlet. The speaker is about 3" around and will fill my car trailer with sound.I think I bought mine at Sears for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-ULTR ... 406&sr=1-4
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

StPro wrote:If you buy a bluetooth Speaker it will play music off your i phone.
Not a bad idea either, I have no set idea of what this should look like, of course the cheaper the better :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread