head lights

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
pro64

head lights

Post by pro64 »

Hey guys looking for some advise I installed a complete wire harness from a well known mfg Its a very simple kit to install .I installed the head lite extensions as explained in the direction and what I ended up with is , Its a 4 bulb system while in low beam position on the dimmer switch the low beams are lite up brightly ,but the high beams are glowing also.If you put the dimmer switch on high beam all 4 are lite brightly. Would appreciate any advise thnx pro64 I did by pass the dimmer switch and problem continues. I did verify all plugs that I assembled are correct according to the directions of mfg. Note the engine is grounded to the frame and so is the body. THNX pro

loman

Re: head lights

Post by loman »

I know you said everything is grounded, but I would double check that first. If there is paint or anything else there, it could cause a weak ground, but I'm sure you checked that already. I would start by taking a piece of wire and making a test lead and connect it to your headlights. Run it all the way back to the battery to see if the problem goes away. Then you at least know whether it is a ground issue or something else.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I agree with Loman and feel it is a grounding problem. Sounds like the low beams have a weak/bad ground. And are backfeeding thru the high beams.
Couple things to try, ground the low beams the directly to the batt, as Loman said, or directly to engine block if batt is in trunk. If it works bad ground.

Also could try disconnecting the the plug at the low beam bulb, make a couple small jumpers and only connect the low beam and ground terminal to the harness. If ground is bad, low beam won't work, if ground is weak low beam should be dim.

I have put more than a few after market wiring harnesses in and not impressed with the wire siz some use for headlights. If you are using halogen or high amperage headlights you may have to up the wire size on the ground side.

But agree with Lowman something up with the ground on the low beams

Lou

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey thank you to the both of you. One thing I noticed last nite is one of the low beam bulbs is bad. So tonight I'm replacing all 4 headlites and going to make that jumper wire. Thnx again I will let you guys know what I find.