Just Wondering About Car Definitions

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Just Wondering About Car Definitions

Post by lavron »

I was watching a few vids on "hot rods" vs "rat rods" etc and am wondering what I should call the work I am doing on my Comet, most of the time I just say I am "fixing it up"

I know there are several categories out there (not that it is very important to me) but right now it is kinda hot rod, kinda rat rod and kinda a resto-mod, it is not a restoration (I figured that out) I am not changing the body at all besides the few little subtle things I have done, the interior will get minor modification. Certainly I am not adding a bunch of gadgets to the car, the biggest "modern" thing it will get is AC, no power steering, no power windows, no fancy paint (more than one person has told me they like the black primer that is on it now) my chrome will not be perfect, etc.

I don't know, maybe it is a "Rat, Resto-Mod, Hot Rod" (really not sure I fit in the hot rod category, I always thought that involved a big motor :roll: ) or maybe I am "Just Fixing it Up", certainly will be a driver (I hope).

What does everyone use to define the work they are doing?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Just Wondering About Car Definitions

Post by popscomet »

some of those panty waists at work that mow their grass everyother day or play golf call working on a car ignorant....I always called it fun and a learning thing....and in my case,,me and son was always together,,since he could crawl!!!! 8) :) :D
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah you’d think a “restoration” involves numbers matching with no deviations from stock. My Comet isn’t that because I added some Cyclone bits, a 4 speed and traction bars.
Resto-mod? Nah. Rat rod...heck no!! :lol:

When I go out to the garage I tell my kids I’m gonna go work on the hot rod! When I drive it I just call it the old Comet or old Merc.

I guess my car doesn’t fit nicely into any category 8)
Last edited by comethead on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I agree with you guys,my Comet Cyclone has a built 351 Cleveland in it,built C-4 with 3500 stall converter and a 4:11 Detroit Locker,so it's not stock. Stock interior but custom instrument panel,large Autometer tach on dashboard,new upholstered seats,new headliner but new 1965 Falcon door panels. With this stuff I tell everybody I have a hot rod. The body still needs work and a paint job,so not a show car. I guess it will always be my HOT ROD. Actually my wife says I'm trying to relive my youth. But I can say I owned a numbers matching 1965 Comet Cyclone only because I ordered a brand new one when I was 18 years old, thanks to Dyno Don Nicholson. So for now it's Andy's hot rod. Andy

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I've been telling people I'm resto modding it and they look at me sideways. What I'm really doing is making it my car, a one of a kind type car. As long as your happy with it who cares.
I always wanted one since high school so I finally got one and I'm just trying to make it drive like a modern car.
Tom
tomb's 65

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

When I built Cosmic back in the 80's, I always considered it a "street machine". Mostly a street car that was a part time drag car, not a drag car that was street legal. It was driven on the street 95% of the time and was built to be street friendly. That rather legitimized it's lackluster performance at the track, more show than go! Today's technology allows builders to close the gap on the so called compromise car, with high HP that doesn't effect street-ability. Call them what you like, I am old school and reserve the hot-rod and rat-rod monikers to rides made before the 50's. If you primer your street machine, that doesn't make it a rat rod anymore than camouflaging it makes it an army tank. Resto-mod was a term developed to try to bridge a gap when some purists wanted their rides to look stock, but run, handle and stop like a modern car. All of this is just my biased opinions, my 70 Challenger hemi convert is PRO-TOURING! :shock: Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

BJB

Post by BJB »

Mike...don't beat yourself around the head figuring out 'a category' You could just give it a generic name rather a searching for the right title...ie The $@^-#!, The Black Hole ( sucks in your money ), or Alimony ( you make regular payments for no benefit). So when your wife asks "where are you going?".....you respond , " I'm working on the Black Hole"

cheers and beers

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:Certainly I am not adding a bunch of gadgets to the car
What!? 4-bar rear end, M2 front end and air bag suspension!? I'd call that some pretty radical mods. Maybe you should call it a "rad-rod" 8) :wink:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Mike...don't beat yourself around the head figuring out 'a category' You could just give it a generic name rather a searching for the right title
Thanks, not really beating myself up over a title :P I might just coin my own term :roll:
Jims65cyclone wrote:What!? 4-bar rear end, M2 front end and air bag suspension!? I'd call that some pretty radical mods. Maybe you should call it a "rad-rod"
Well, maybe radical but not really gadgets (maybe the air bags) I have described my vision to a few people as a car you might see in the late 70's (not purely) but finish wise, not perfect paint or chrome, some obvious wear, not like a new car, not like clapped out old ratty car, someplace in-between, you can tell it has been modified but not recently.

Maybe I am "Me-Modding" it :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I call mine my old hotrod. I have been all over it & rebuilt most of it so I think I deserve the right to call it what ever I want to. :lol:
Johno

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I'm with you JOHNO!!!! Andy