My HF Hardy Mechanic's Gloves Review

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

My HF Hardy Mechanic's Gloves Review

Post by lavron »

I have bought 3 pairs of Harbor Freight HARDY Mechanic Gloves since I started the build on my Comet, if you calculate that out, a pair lasts me about a month (or less) they are a little less than $4 a pair on sale.

What is the purpose of mechanic's gloves? To protect your hands and for the most part they work as they should except if you do a lot of grinding (like me :roll: ) it took me the third pair to figure out why I keep wearing out the left glove, the palms are "synthetic leather" but the backs are like nylon and when hot sparks off the grinder hit them, they melt, and when they melt they burn the crap out of the backs of your hands (or in my case, fingers) right now I have burn right above where my wedding ring goes (no I don't wear any jewelry when working) and a big blister I got yesterday right below my first knuckle on my middle finger. So I think they pretty much fail their intended purpose :roll: Yesterday after I basically melted the gloves onto my fingers again, it just had shredded the backs of the fingers actually, I tapped the fingers up (the rest of the gloves are fine) and did my grinding on the crossmember, tape held up better than the gloves (not even duct tape, but regular old painters masking tape).

I bought some Wal-Mart gloves today but I don't think they will be much better, looks like the same material on the backs, I think I might preemptively duct tape the fingers on the left glove before I use them and see if they won't last a little longer :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: My HF Hardy Mechanic's Gloves Review

Post by poboyjo65 »

I use a welding glove on my left for even just tacking stuff. I use it to steady my right if I can & its like a shield too.so to be able to prop up on stuff I just welded on I need protection. if I'm doing a lot of welding I use a thin leather work glove on my right,or the other welding glove if it is big stuff & lots of it but it cramps my trigger finger.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:? :? NO PAIN ….NO GAIN.....SUCK IT UP, AND KEEP ON MARCHING FORWARD....nothing is easy :wink: :wink: 8) pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Mechanix Fast Fit.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.