RIP, Sarge

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Joe Travers

RIP, Sarge

Post by Joe Travers »

Skip this one if you aren't into human interest stories-

Been taking care of my wife for a few months now and lost track of a few things. One was Sarge. He was a Vietnam Air Force vet and car freak, like most of us. Had a restoration shop out in the country and loved old FoMoCo. He was my first connection after 25 years away from the whole scene. He kept trying to sell me his old T-Bird but I wouldn't bite. Too many irons in the fire, I told him. His health was progressively declining after we first met and I tried to help him move all of his projects. The last time I was by his shop, had to pull over because several trucks w/ flatbed trailers were hauling off most of his stash. I felt a sense of relief and a little sadness for him but I knew it was for the best. Had a long talk with his wife this evening after finding out he passed a few days ago.

Sarge reminded me of several old Ford friends that came and went over the years. A trip to his shop was like walking down memory lane for me, very nostalgic. Thought I would share the video I shot w/ him a few years ago to send to his contacts. Somehow it all came together for him in the end-

https://youtu.be/mEwjF6BUNcY

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Re: RIP, Sarge

Post by SASSY »

Thanks for sharing the story and vid, that boy had a few projects!
Im sure he will always come to mind and bring a smile.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:09 am
Thanks for sharing the story and vid, that boy had a few projects!
Im sure he will always come to mind and bring a smile.
Yes, Fred, quite a character :)
He bought a body shop w/ some acreage and started collecting old cars after he retired from the military.
The yellow '65 sedan w/ the 5.0L roller engine I posted a while back came from his stash of cars.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Travers on Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Thanks for sharing Joe. He had some stuff eh!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:46 am
Thanks for sharing Joe. He had some stuff eh!
Old horse trader from days gone by.

Most I ever handled @ one time was two old DDs and a project. Never made money but didn't have to pay notes or buy full coverage insurance which is crazy high in my state. This was Sarge's pension supplement plan/401K.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop