what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
gmsnowball

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by gmsnowball »

202 off the lift for now but looking for a manual transmission, bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing and possibly a pilot bearing as well. Converting from an automatic to a standard. Wife’s idea, not mine.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Re-installed the radio after getting the Tayman conversion. Works and sounds great. Not Cheap. But I wanted to keep the dash looking original. The only visible change is a tiny LED in the dial that shows am-fm-cd.

Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

loman

Post by loman »

Brought home my new 35 spline Strange case spool for my black car.

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Been looking for one of those fancy gas caps that were apparently standard on the 63s. A bunch offered at $100-400. This came up at $75 so I got it, not likely to get one for less.

The retainer ring was 180 degrees off but easy to correct.

Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:D
Tried to dig my way back to it.
:)
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Atta boy Johno!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Today it broke 70 degrees here in SE Wisconsin, I thought it would be a good day to fire up the Comet. Over the winter I replaced the rear main seal, installed a new clutch, did a few changes to the carburetors, installed a fuel pressure regulator W/ gauge and replaced the bearing type lower control arms with new conventional style. ( hoping the ride quality improves)
After priming the carburetors with the electric fuel pump the engine fired up and ran fine, the air/fuel ratio at idle is 13.6 so my carburetor changes have helped.
I have not put the car in the ground yet but a test drive is planned in the near future pending the weather. I do not have any events planned until next month so I have time to deal with any bugs that may arise.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

All beauty Jim!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:51 pm
All beauty Jim!
Including the shop ,especially all the air in there! I dont have room to fall down in my shop. I was out there today picking up some, my buddy came over,I was telling him my shop was like one of these old puzzles right now. have to move everything 4-5 times just to get started off right .

Jim what kind of regulator & gauge did you get? I got them a while back ,still in process of install. I'm kind of second guessing if I got the right reg for my set up.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thanks guys. I try to keep my shop organized and somewhat clean, it does get messy and no matter how hard I try it still gets dirty. I need a cleaning lady!
The fuel regulator and gauge are from Summit. If you look at the engine photo you will see the gauge to the right of the distributor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSN-JM1057BK

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSE-5001-15-3
I have a high volume mechanical pump on the engine and an electric pump near the tank, the electric pump is on a manual switch and only operates when the engine has oil pressure.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I got this regulator , I've added a return line. I still need to make up a line from reg down to old line down by the frame ;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-881?rrec=true

& this gauge had a button that sounded important ,suckered me in. :roll:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-15632?rrec=true

& this pump;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-gpa-tbi

Now I cant remember why I was second guessing one of them , pressures seem ok for a carb on all of it. :?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Drove my dirty Comet to the local C&C this morning w/ camera in hand. Not a FoMoCo product in sight!
The line in the coffeeshop was too long for me to stand and endure. Jumped back in the seat and headed straight home.

Good news on engine tune! I followed the timing curve for the Boss 302 engine and retarded it 2 degrees last week.
It's a LOT more conservative than MSD gurus would have you believe. A must do for me w/ 10.7:1 static compression on 93 octane.
Still runs like a bat out of Hades. No more pinging cruising around town :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi