what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:

I have a strange satisfaction in making that old throttle system work. My car broke at home so no worries :D
what ever floats your boat. it seems like lots of guys who had to run around with older technology back in the day steer clear of it in present day. some dont. some do a little of both. take Pop for instance ,a mixture of old & new, old where he wants it & new where he wants. Joe, even though he use to be mr OEM ,is same way, some old ,some new. I guess I am too, some old ,some new. & some times guys get tired of the old if it parks them on the side of the road enough or they get fed up with working on it. I know a couple of guys who now dont run points after getting their fill of them. :lol:

so where am I going with this? I dont know. :? except we build them to suit us. So if I say one part is better than another, maybe it is, if it is new against old. but that doesn't mean I'm calling the old one bad or junk or unsafe. just that is better, & proven better many years ago as technology got better. & so if I say one is better, it is just what I have learned. & if I say one is better I'm NOT putting down any ones car for having old style parts. & I also respect your decision to have what you want. So if I say I have broke lots of those back in the day, the other is better, I'm just making statements & not trying to put your car down. I think we all do this to some extent about one thing or another & it is just passing on wisdom ,which is just a nice way of saying I learned that the hard way. some times people take it wrong, & take offense. & sometimes it is hard to see that guys are only trying to help, not to put down. So read in to it & give a guy the benefit of a doubt, he most likely is trying to help. On the otherhand, if someone doesn't say ''thankyou'' the way you want, dont take that wrong either, he is thinking & trying hard to fix his car. If you're here for praise you're at the wrong place. IMO

Safety first! So if one of us recommends better brakes, that is an issue that involves others around you where ever you drive so I hope guys take off the mule binders for this one area, at least for the single chambered master cylinder. if you plan to drive it ,make it as safe as you can.

so I Joe I wont tell you what I really think of that throttle system.....again! (today) he he he!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But seriously, I hope that contraption doesn't break in an unsafe place amigo! again this is all [JMO] !!! & no disrespect intended to anyone.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thems is a lot of words :shock:

No offense taken. I'm used to the beautifully simple system on an early mustang. If this bellcrank deal screws me over I'll consider something else. I've seen on TFFN where a dude used a Lokar pedal and cable with the stock pedal laying over it in the cab.

Right now I'm full bore Falcon so I ain't got time to re-engineer my Comet. Just need it driving...it's my backup car for work!

Hey Johnnie, I know it's in your build thread but what are you using for throttle setup? get a pic up here or link!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Loner

Post by Loner »

The amout of money and engineering that went into building these cars I find it hard to improve on much. But we are talking about 60's technology here. So there are definitely somethings that can be improved on. I'm from the school of thought it's you car build it how you want it as long as it's safe. For those of you that put Chevy engines in Fords or vise versa,well I better not go there :shock: :shock:
Like my Comet it was built with a 200 and a C-4 in it and as much as I love 6 bangers I just wish it was a V-8 car :D
So I have been gathering up the parts to make it a V-8 car. When the time comes hopefully I can afford to build it with the best parts available.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here ya go Joe. It is from a 70's truck. I used the piece that bolts to the firewall from the comet & cut the truck pedal rod, they were the same size , & re welded it. I did some bending of the arm to get the pedal where I want it. the part out in the engine bay needs no explanation it is so simple, other than the bottom 2 pics are showing where I added a throttle control,,a kind of primitive cruise control from ford back in the day, only it sets the throttle & not the speed so hills will change the speed. I also changed the knob on it for one from a comet auto gear shift lever.even though it was from a 65 it matched my 64 comet knobs that I preferred.
Imageupload img

Imageupload img

Imageimage hosting without account

Imageimage hosting without account
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I like the simplicity of your setup. Looks like a mustang throttle. And that cruise control is cool! 8)
Thanks amigo!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe my only guess is that they were trying to keep the foot action to a minimum & still use a an existing carb on the stock ones, unless Rube Goldberg made it! :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I can't stand the bellcrank setup! I think it's a neat piece of (evil) engineering though! :lol: :lol: I've made it work on a couple different intakes but any time you do anything ya gotta adjust this and that and usually make a new throttle rod! I finally ordered a 6-ft piece of 5/32 stainless rod the last time. Shucks, there's 3 pieces of "precision" drilled 1/8 plate under it now (so it'll clear the #8 runner on that goofy Eddy intake)! :mrgreen:

It'll probably get one more short-lived stint on the new motor. Gonna keep everything the SAME as now until it's broken in, then I have a bunch of stuff to address (well, add it to the already long list!!!) then I'll sell it...for free!!! :) :D :D :lol: :mrgreen: :P
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

JH that's what I like about the 70's V8 truck linkage, pull off the carb just snap off the linkage, just one less bother when pulling the carb. put on a carb spacer or change the distance for any reason & you just turn the end of the linkage until it reaches, snap it back on. I had lokar cables on those 2 trucks. when I was building the second truck, I pulled the lokar cable off the first one to make a bracket since I used a 6cylinder truck cable firewall bracket on the first but didnt have one for the second one so I decided to make one.so while I had the cable borrowed from the one truck I put the rusty stock linkage back on it so I could still drive it. Then when the new second cable got here I took off the linkage & put on the new cable. drove it for a bit but I decided I'd use the linkage real quick because it was easier to push the pedal, & more responsive. you could blip the throttle so much easier & no slack what so ever. I ended up finding another linkage for the other truck too. I used one of the cables on my throttle control & have a spare for it now.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IN my 71 6cyl pu,I 1st put in a 64 289,,all I did was heat the elbow and bend the arm over to lighn up the carb,later I put a FE in it and was OK...then some yrs went by and I rebuilt my orig 6 and put it back in ,,just heated elbow and straighten the arm back up to alighn with carb on 6 cyl,,,,my trk did not have a cabel on gas pedal.....but my 65 and 66 both do......cable and solid rod have their plus and minus......on a race car you always want the cable...not solid rod
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP likes new stuff,but likes them better when they get OLD,LIKE ME !! EVERYDAY I GET OLDER and I like myself more each day :D ,,now with that being said,,my 64 comet is just about all 64,,the 4sp is 65 and the rear chunk came from a 76 cobra stang and it has MSD ign system...which really don't trip my trigger,cause when it goes out,the comet will be dead in the water,if it had points dist,I could fix it on the side of said water and get home,the MSD has been on it for 20 plus yrs,,will that stuff last forever? NO !!as I have replaced the MSD on wife's 56 ford and on my 1984 5.0 capri,,which by the way the 1st msd I put on the capri went out with in a couple of hrs,and it was dead in the water ,had to haul it home.BUT everyone was saying how good that msd was so I bought all that stuff,,,now some are saying to me ,change the frt end,,,change the brks,change the generator,,,WHY :?: ... there is not one comet on entire site that has been driven just like it is more then POP's ol red ride,,,,why you ask ?cause you ain't owned yours as long !!MINE was a daily driver for a few yrs..been in so many different states,,and with 64 stuff..now that is service,,but I keep my comet in good shape,,so to that ol saying ,if it ain't broke....hell,don't fix it !! people sometimes change things just for the sake of having something to talk about...pop's 64 has been on the road so much and for so long ,most here if any will never catch up to it,,they can't ...so the bottom line is do what what ever you want with yours and set back and look at it,change over to what ever suits you,,but POP is going to stay with a proven winning hand..... :D :D :wink: :!: I build them to last and I know how to do it,and I know how to pull proper maintence,,the VC have not been off since it was built back in the 90's,put the gear drive in april 1996 set the timing where I wanted it and have never touched it since,,BUT if I get a wild hair and want to change the frt end over to a 65,thanks to john,,I have most of it,if I want disc brks,I already have it,but as good what I have right now is working......am staying with the winning hand....pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think Fred still has '64 front end parts on Sassy too Pop! And shucks, he pulled a camper down & up the Left Coast! :D So th '64 parts in good shape with a decent alignment can't be THAT bad!

Johnny - yah, been keep my eye out for a Fox 'Stang carb cable linkage setup. Like to get pedal to carb...that was a great setup IMHO. Carb attachment is just like your truck linkage...pop it on/ off!! :mrgreen: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Drove the Comet to Tulsa with my Falcon Club Saturday for lunch at the White River Fish Market. We took highway 66 there and back and totaled over 250 miles with the top down. Ran like a top and got about 17 miles to the gallon. Time to take that big carburetor off and go with a smaller Holley.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I replaced my bigger carb on my bone stock 302 1977 bronco with a holly 390 cfm 4bbl from JEGS many yrs ago,,never touch it ,right out of the box,bolted it on,,,runs great and the last time I drove it to deer camp it got 19 mpg,at 60 mph....it has been on for several yrs,,,it is built for 305 cu in or smaller engines,,it even has the kick down for AT...u might want to check in on it....POP is well pleased.........JMO...{ I don't let out to many the MPG that old bronco gets ,cause most wouldn't believe me ,and to keep down a dis-agreement I just keep it to myself,those GM driven guys at the deer camp all think they have a gift from above anyway,,,til that bronco pulls them out of a mud hole}
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Pop, I have the 390 Holley on my 51 Vicky and it is perfect. Never fails to fire after a slight bump of the starter, now, if it would only get 15 mpg I would be very happy.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

gmsnowball wrote:Pop, I have the 390 Holley on my 51 Vicky and it is perfect. Never fails to fire after a slight bump of the starter, now, if it would only get 15 mpg I would be very happy.
WELL,POP is being very truthful about the bronco,,it just floors me that it does so good on mpg.I will say this,it is driven as if there is a raw egg under the gas pedal..as it is old and the short block is orginal,,heads and intake have been changed,but nothing special...in fact most everything I have I drive this way.....but not the comet !! I don't spin the tires and do clutch dumpin,,but I will wing it thru the gears,,,in it I could care less about mpg....or gal's per mile.I like to hear it suck air with both carbs suckin hard...I hammer it ,,but I take pretty good care of it......15 mpg ain't to bad,it's liveable...I have a 300 6 fi that is lucky to get 12 and that's with cruise control on 65 mph,,it has 2 tanks and needs 2 more
pop/glenda