what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by popscomet »

good luck ,PUGS...we have the 1st Friday night of the month cruise coming up in APRIL,,,if OL pop ain't at a race track,either I'll be there with the comet or my 1966 f100,depends on the weather or what I think the weather is going to be like during the night......PF is about the only time the red ride sits outside,,,and it ain't because it's that slick...it's just how I do it.......so polish up your whls and pop will do his dead level best to see and shake your hand in JUNE........ :D :D :wink: take care :!: POP
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Pop I can't wait. Got to get some fruit juice ordered, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Took the ole' girl over to my son-in-law's garage and put it up on his rack to set the toe-in. Never did it last May when I put the new tires/wheels on. Haven't driven it many miles since then, but wanted to get the toe-in right to prevent significant wear until I can rebuild the whole front end. Boy was it out! It was sporting about 1/2" of toe-in! :shock: Set the steering wheel straight, then trimmed the toe-in down to 1/16". I could tell the difference on the trip home. Got some looks and a couple of thumbs up during the trip. Man, I like that. 8) :wink: 8) :wink:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Took the ole' girl over to my son-in-law's garage and put it up on his rack to set the toe-in. Never did it last May when I put the new tires/wheels on. Haven't driven it many miles since then, but wanted to get the toe-in right to prevent significant wear until I can rebuild the whole front end. Boy was it out! It was sporting about 1/2" of toe-in! :shock: Set the steering wheel straight, then trimmed the toe-in down to 1/16". I could tell the difference on the trip home. Got some looks and a couple of thumbs up during the trip. Man, I like that. 8) :wink: 8) :wink:
Jim
You got an alignment man for a son in law? you lucky dog! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:You got an alignment man for a son in law? you lucky dog! :D
No, not quite that lucky. He's got a four-post lift. I'm the alignment guy. I did front end alignment and suspension work for my father-in-law at his tire company for about 5 years back in the early 70's. I got an extra toe-in gauge from him when he sold the business, and passed it on my to son-in-law when he got the lift. I used it and a couple of metal plates under each wheel. I aligned many a Mustang, Fairlane, and about every other make and model of 60's and 70's car back in the day. That was back when it was all done with bubble gauges, too. That's been over 40 years ago, but it's kind of like riding a bike...it comes back to you pretty quick. Wish I could have kept the caster/camber gauge, too, but that went with the business. :( :roll:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:You got an alignment man for a son in law? you lucky dog! :D
No, not quite that lucky. He's got a four-post lift. I'm the alignment guy. I did front end alignment and suspension work for my father-in-law at his tire company for about 5 years back in the early 70's. I got an extra toe-in gauge from him when he sold the business, and passed it on my to son-in-law when he got the lift. I used it and a couple of metal plates under each wheel. I aligned many a Mustang, Fairlane, and about every other make and model of 60's and 70's car back in the day. That was back when it was all done with bubble gauges, too. That's been over 40 years ago, but it's kind of like riding a bike...it comes back to you pretty quick. Wish I could have kept the caster/camber gauge, too, but that went with the business. :( :roll:
Jim
That's even better really. If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself, but the 4 post lift,ahhhhh gravy! I wish you were closer I have a caster/cam gauge. :roll:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:I wish you were closer I have a caster/cam gauge. :roll:
Yeah, right. You just want access to the 4-post lift. :roll: I do want to get a gauge, though, so I can do the whole alignment when I rebuild the front end. Where did you get yours?
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think from jegs but it was this one Jim
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps- ... oC69Lw_wcB
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I wish you were closer I have a caster/cam gauge. :roll:
Yeah, right. You just want access to the 4-post lift. :roll: I do want to get a gauge, though, so I can do the whole alignment when I rebuild the front end. Where did you get yours?
Jim
am I that transparent? :oops: :oops:
Johno

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Two car shows this weekend, my 51 Vicky won best of show Saturday and the Comet took crowd favorite Sunday. Best part was a free complete detail.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

congrats on the 51 and the comet.....back in the 90's when we car showed a lot,THE CROWD,s pick was the best one to win,,that's everyone's opinion,,not just a few judge's...particpant and peoples' choice are the best to win,,,,,ol pop has not ran across any tail light lens yet..but I have not gave up
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Good job on the car show.

I changed the spark plugs tonight in the black car and polished the rear wheels.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Congrats snow ball ! & loman !
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I drove mine back to town today on a honey do errand..... 8) 8) :) :D :D :D
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

popscomet wrote:congrats on the 51 and the comet.....back in the 90's when we car showed a lot,THE CROWD,s pick was the best one to win,,that's everyone's opinion,,not just a few judge's...particpant and peoples' choice are the best to win,,,,,ol pop has not ran across any tail light lens yet..but I have not gave up

Thanks Pop's. No problem on the tail light lens. I found two sets on flea bay and snagged them both. They are getting very hard to come by as no one repops them. After the show Sunday afternoon, we got wet on the way home so I spent the rest of the evening cleaning the Comet and changed the oil in the Comet and Vicky.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible