what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

b.guggenmos wrote:I looked up Total Performance that you mentioned and they don't have a website but they have a phone number. Maybe I will give them a call? Do you happen to know what size the tubes are?
The primary tubes are 1 3/4 into a 3 1/2 collector. Here are a couple pictures of them. They are 8 individual tubes that have to be installed then you slip on the collector. Takes a lot of patience and time to put them on with the stock shock towers. The last tube on each side crosses over into the other sides collector. :o
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
b.guggenmos wrote:I looked up Total Performance that you mentioned and they don't have a website but they have a phone number. Maybe I will give them a call? Do you happen to know what size the tubes are?
The primary tubes are 1 3/4 into a 3 1/2 collector. Here are a couple pictures of them. They are 8 individual tubes that have to be installed then you slip on the collector. Takes a lot of patience and time to put them on with the stock shock towers. The last tube on each side crosses over into the other sides collector. :o
All I can say is WOW. It looks like a pile of snakes. My shock towers have been cut back so I do have some room. The right side header actually fits pretty godd but the left side is another matter. It hits the pitman arm so I can't turn very sharp. #8 cylinder has a pretty radical downturn that has to hurt performance some. Awhile back someone on Craigs list had a set of Tubular Automotive headers and they criss croos #4 and #8 I think. Also Ford Powetrain Applications has them listed for 65 Mustang. Thank for taking the pictures. Brian
Last edited by b.guggenmos on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

b.guggenmos wrote: All I can say is WOW. It looks like a pile of snakes. My shock towers have been cut back so I do have some room. The right side header actually fits pretty good but the left side is another matter. It hits the pitman arm so I can't turn very sharp. #8 cylinder has a pretty radical downturn that has to hurt performance some. Awhile back someone on Craigs list had a set of Tubular Automotive headers and they criss cross #4 and #8 I think. Also Ford Powertrain Applications has them listed for 65 Mustang. Thank for taking the pictures. Brian
Those Ford Powertrain Application headers look real nice. They look like you would have to install them as you drop the motor in though. The nice thing about mine is they are meant to be installed with the motor in the car.

Here is the Ford Powertrain headers you found.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

If I had a picture I would show you my "Bundle of Snakes",even a small block based engine gets tight when you want big tubes and equal lengths!!!! I have two on the pass and one on the drivers side that exit thru the wheelwell and two that curve under the pan and return to their original side!!! You guys ever seen the headers for a FE in our cars?!Our little engine bays were designed for a straight six!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I finished all the little time consuming jobs and fired the new engine!!!Now for a blast around the hood tomorrow!!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I finished all the little time consuming jobs and fired the new engine!!!Now for a blast around the hood tomorrow!!! ROY.
Is this just a rebuild with the same combo or a whole new package?
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;mostly the same,just a different block as I split 4 cylinder walls on the last one[third block].I used another spare block and used"Hard Blok" to fill the cooling passages up to the water pump holes.The 3.4" stroke and short pistons beat the crap out of the cylinder walls so I thought I would try this,$80 + machining vs $2000 for an aftermarket block plus a new crank.All the aftermarket blocks use the one piece rear main seal and my expensive crank is for a two piece seal.I did change my Edelbrock Victor jr.intake for a Super Victor.I had it out Friday just putting around the neighborhood then to our local monthly cruize night,about a mile or so from my house,the temp seems manageable.After break-in I will change to a full synthetic oil and possibly an oil cooler. ROY.

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I tore down my carb to inspect, found nothing so rejetted and now it is ready to go for a cruise when I get back from camping in a few days.
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Roy, have you thought about trying a valley girdle. A local guy has the patten on them and makes them in a small factory a 1/2 hour south of me in Wauseon, Ohio. I put one in the 347 in my 66 Mustang, I can't say for sure if they work but some swear by them. I have not had any problems with my engine but, I am not producing the power you are. Anyway, for a $229.00 I thought it was worth a try.

Here is a video about them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSlWuiWo ... dded#at=16

Here is their web site.
http://www.horsepowersales.net/catalog.htm

Larry

Jim Clayton

Post by Jim Clayton »

I looked at the Cyclone setting idle in my garage under the car cover and thought how much I missed kicking Chevy A$$ with her. Next year a new season of vintage oval racing and Old Faithful running a full schedule . Who knows might even get started building a chassis for the 64 this winter. JC
Ford Powered Nostalgic Stockcars 66 Cyclone 631/2 Galaxie 71 Mustang Mach 1

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;I have seen those,they look like they should help.I am splitting cylinder walls at the lower part of the cylinder,have not split one down the middle YET!!!! I have read that small block Fords will split down thru the valley,partially because of how the intake pulls down,spreading the valley.I run a maincap stud girdle and have never had a crank or bearing issue,so tying the valley together may help!!! ROY.

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

With Roy doing the leg work for me I sent a check off to California today for a Jerico and Mcleod soft loc clutch for my blue 65 Cyclone. Now if I could just find more horsepower! Thanks Roy! Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

b.guggenmos wrote:With Roy doing the leg work for me I sent a check off to California today for a Jerico and Mcleod soft loc clutch for my blue 65 Cyclone. Now if I could just find more horsepower! Thanks Roy! Brian
Watch out Roy, if you help too much you may lose your self proclaimed title of the world's fastest light blue 65 Comet! :P :lol:

Brian's cars.

Roy's
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;it is a title I would gladly pass on to another!!!! Brian should notice a HUGE change but he still needs about 1.2 seconds!!!! I was in a position to help him as I was passing thru the city the trans was in and stopped on my way home to check it for Brian. It was everything the seller stated,nice to see an accurate description of parts for a change!!!! The seller had a nice engine for sale,421"SVO block,SVO Cleavland heads,sheet metal intake with electronic FI,ONLY made 898HP!!!! NO,I didn't ask the price! He also has a 63.5 Falcon Sprint,tube chassis,twin turboed 377" Ford,1900HP,1446foot pounds of torgue,runs 6s and is street legal,$62,000!!!! ROY.

64 289

Post by 64 289 »

Well today i fitted dynamat to the entire floor of my 64 and right now i can hardly move as my knees are sore and my back is killing me. Maybe i am getting old? Nah that cant be it
Only push bikes and mobility scooters have two pedals