what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
redhotcomet

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by redhotcomet »

Just got back from a 870 km (544 mile) round trip in the Comet to see my folks and go to a Canadian Football League game in Calgary. The old girl ran fantastic, other than a few backfires out the exhaust going down hills. Averaged 11.6 L/100km, which is just over 20 US MPG for those less metric-ly inclined. Can't complain about that. Ran mostly 75 mph. Very nearly lost a front wheel in the first hour of the trip, which is my fault because I forgot to re-torque them, but I had my tools and torqued it up on the side of the highway. Lucky!

Great weekend could only have been better if the Roughriders had beat the Stampeders! :roll:
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL AM GLAD you caught those loose lug nuts in time,,20 mpg ain't bad out of an old
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:WELL AM GLAD you caught those loose lug nuts in time,,20 mpg ain't bad out of an old
this cotton picking machine sent that reply on it's own,,,anyway,that's some good MPG....hate to say this,but I was pulling for the STAMPEDERS :shock: :shock: :wink: POP
pop/glenda

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I didn't know you were a CFL fan Pop! :lol:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

redhotcomet wrote:I didn't know you were a CFL fan Pop! :lol:
:D POP was just mesing with you :D :wink: POP is a FORD FAN....hope you have or had a great day :D
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Put the 64 202 on the lift, pulled the hood, drive shaft, radiator, AC condenser, prepped the engine and transmission for removal. Just a bit hot in the shop even with a large fan and evap-o-cooler. Hope to get the motor and trans out soon so I can clean the engine bay and remove the front and rear suspension components. They need new bushings, ball joints, etc and paint while I have everything out. Found a 250 six and transmission out of a 76 Comet, how much trouble would it be to make the 250 and the transmission fit in the 202? I would also like to lower it about 2 inches. What would be the best way to do that? Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

"I would also like to lower it about 2 inches. What would be the best way to do that?"

I always say the best way is to install a V8. :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote:Found a 250 six and transmission out of a 76 Comet, how much trouble would it be to make the 250 and the transmission fit in the 202?
You need the lower motor mounts out of the Maverick/Comet if you can get them, a low profile air cleaner, and you may have to run an electric fan or move the radiator forward as much as you can.

I haven't done mine yet but it looks like if I was to slightly modify the radiator brackets I could move my radiator forward a good inch without modding the core support, the other thing I understand is the fan might hit the upper radiator hose so something will have to be done for clearance. Most I think install pusher electric fans and just leave the fan off.
gmsnowball wrote:I would also like to lower it about 2 inches. What would be the best way to do that?
Someone can confirm, but doesn't the Shelby drop lower the front some? And I am sure you can cut some coils off the springs plus the 250 will be heavier than the 170 anyway.

See Ya.
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Since the axle rides on top of the leaf springs you could put in lowering blocks for the rear. & just cut the coil springs for the front. 1/2 coil at a time is the safest way without going too far, & if you measure before & after you will pretty much know how much the next 1/2 coil will do.

shelby drop only gives you 5/8 -3/4, but it makes even a grocery getter car drive better.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

redhotcomet wrote:"I would also like to lower it about 2 inches. What would be the best way to do that?"

not me !! I'd rather have the 250 6cyl,.......pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i put my hs roller rockers back on yesterday.for some reason i have 65 psi oil pressure with the rollers but i have 75 or more with the stock rockers.so i can either run the rollers with less pressure or run the stock adj rockers with more pressure
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

BJB

Post by BJB »

lavron wrote:
gmsnowball wrote:Found a 250 six and transmission out of a 76 Comet, how much trouble would it be to make the 250 and the transmission fit in the 202?

Someone can confirm, but doesn't the Shelby drop lower the front some? And I am sure you can cut some coils off the springs plus the 250 will be heavier than the 170 anyway.

See Ya.
Mike

Mike, my reading of the Shelby Drop is that it lowers the front end approx 5/8".

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

popscomet wrote:
redhotcomet wrote:"I would also like to lower it about 2 inches. What would be the best way to do that?"

not me !! I'd rather have the 250 6cyl,.......pop
I have a nice 302 mild build that would fit nicely but I would have to change the spindles, brakes and springs and I think the six would be plenty for the little lady. She did commandeer the 202 and claimed it as her car so I will try to find a 200 and maybe some aftermarket springs that will lower a bit. If I can get it to sit and look like Lavron's I would be happy.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote: If I can get it to sit and look like Lavron's I would be happy.
If I can get mine to sit and look like my sig I would be happy too :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has a special feeling for a 64 2dr 6cyl AT 202,,my mothers younger brother,,my uncle who is just 5yrs almost to the day older then me bought one brand new,,we run around in that little comet a lot,then I took my drivers test in it( yes ,I passed),,,it was annaversery silver...some cars deserve a V8 some need a different transmission some need up graded ,,,but then there is some that need to be left alone and just brought back to as new,,and to me it is 64 2dr 202.... :) :wink: pop
pop/glenda