what did you do to your comet today?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: what did you do to your comet today?

Post by lavron »

Dismantled the rocker arm shaft I decided to use and started cleaning it up, so far so good.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you'd make a good house wife as much cleaning as you do :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:you'd make a good house wife as much cleaning as you do :lol: :wink:
It seems to be a never ending process, degrease, brush, de-rust, brush, oil or paint. Wish I was driving it. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My wife and I took a neighbor to the DQ to get a Blizzard for her birthday. (Good excuse to take the Comet out for a spin. :wink: ) Hadn't been there 5 minutes when a fellow I've never met before parks beside me driving a 65 Sprint. What are the chances of that? Turns out his car came from Hawaii (military transfer). He said his only problem was that it had no provision for a heater or defroster. There were no controls, no heater box, not even the vents in the dash for defroster. We don't get REAL cold in SC, seldom below +20F, but we definitely need our heaters and defrosters. :shock:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That is cool Jim 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:My wife and I took a neighbor to the DQ to get a Blizzard for her birthday. (Good excuse to take the Comet out for a spin. :wink: ) Hadn't been there 5 minutes when a fellow I've never met before parks beside me driving a 65 Sprint. What are the chances of that? Turns out his car came from Hawaii (military transfer). He said his only problem was that it had no provision for a heater or defroster. There were no controls, no heater box, not even the vents in the dash for defroster. We don't get REAL cold in SC, seldom below +20F, but we definitely need our heaters and defrosters. :shock:
Jim
I bought a 1966 Mustang in Hawaii in 1975 when I was stationed at Pearl Harbor that also had no heater box, defroster, controls and vents. The Navy shipped it to the mainland when I was discharged in '76. Sold it in Phoenix in '77. It was the first car that Barb and I bought after we got married(May 1975). Back then these cars were cheap.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Motor ready for high pressure wash

After clean up and paint

Ready for reassembly

Have to figure out how the throttle linkage will work with the 200 in the 202 Comet. The 68 Mustang Holley 1940 has a different set up than the Autolite that was in the Comet. Maybe LAVRON has the skinny... :idea:

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I hope that FRAM filter is just a paint stop!! :D :D :lol: Looking good!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote:Have to figure out how the throttle linkage will work with the 200 in the 202 Comet. The 68 Mustang Holley 1940 has a different set up than the Autolite that was in the Comet. Maybe LAVRON has the skinny...
Well it has been so long since I saw a stock setup :roll: you should have the bell crank and rod, but I can't remember how the hollers hook up I was more familiar with Autolites, that being said they never really mattered on the Offy triple, they use the standard throttle arm just have to make sure the arm is pointing the right way, but the carbs are also sitting sideways on my triple set-up.

Thinking about it the Holleys sat with the arms on the outside when I had them on there (the triple set-up) and I rotated the Autolites but the arms still hooked up and worked

I will try and look at the pictures of your carburetor and see if it helps jog my memory (seems to get harder and harder to jog all the time)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I looked at your carb and it should just sit in the intake, or spacer, with throttle crank on the outside, you should have a long rod that comes from the accelerator crank on the fire wall and clips over the ball, the rod should be adjustable, you will need your return spring attached to the carb arm to something on the forward part of the engine, for some reason I am thinking they had an egg shaped washer with a hole on the front top exhaust manifold bolt, or I made that up and put it on mine that way :roll:

The only thing I saw is you might need to remove the fuel filter and relocate it because it will probably hit the valve cover, I think you can get a 90 degree adapter (mine has the fuel pump with the big cartridge filter on top of the pump). I think your fuel line is supposed to run around the front of the valve cover anyway, at least it was on my '64 IIRC and be held by little clips under the valve cover bolt heads.

This is a picture I posted for a guy on Facebook that couldn't understand firing order :roll: but you can see how my fuel line runs and that my throttle shafts run inline with the intake runner, this is not how they bolt on regularly they are turned 90 degrees, the holly base is turned opposite of these because this intake is actually made for them but I put Autolites on mine, they still work that way :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Went to a car show at the Sams Club in Prescott Valley. Not too many cars as it was raining. Did see a nice looking 59 Ford pickup that had a front plate with Grumpy on it. It's grumpy because it had chevy engine in it. :(
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Tims1965MercuryComet wrote:Went to a car show at the Sams Club in Prescott Valley. Not too many cars as it was raining. Did see a nice looking 59 Ford pickup that had a front plate with Grumpy on it. It's grumpy because it had chevy engine in it. :(
Tim
that ain't the word that comes to my mind :roll: CHITTY CHITTY-BANG-BANG with DICK VAN DYKE,,comes to thought :!: :lol:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Went to a local (3 miles from my house :D ) cruise-in yesterday. It was a Cheby sponsored event, but there were some nifty Ford-powered rides there, too, including one other Comet.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yep some mighty nifty fords....POP has one of those COBRA'S, if I ever finish putting it together,mine has a 65 289 ,2 4's alumn heads ,a 8.8 3.55 trac loc with a 5spd trmec,,,gear drive with a few other goodies,,even some of those whls,,,pop just race's to dang much,,,to do much of anything else :shock: in other words ....to many hands in the fire :roll:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice pics Jim ,thanks for sharing! :D
Johno