BRAND OF clutch

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

BRAND OF clutch

Post by popscomet »

Who makes a good clutch,I used to have mine built[pressure plate also]very long time,ago....THink the 1 man opertion passed away,yr or so ago.pop..
pop/glenda

alans 64

Re: BRAND OF clutch

Post by alans 64 »

If you wanted to do a search I had few posts on the problems with a zoom clutch. IMHO they are chinese made junk. was defect in the pressure plate and got no help at all from zooms tech support. they kept telling me it was a trans/bellhousing issue. the clutch would not release completely was the problem. after pulling it several times and with a fe and lakewood, it's not the greatest thing one would want to do, i noticed a defect on one of the springs that would not let one segment release completely. summitt took it back without any hassle and after recommendations from Toploader heaven and numerous people on the fe forum I went with a McLeod and haven't had a problem one. so, in nutshell I would recommend a McLeod from personal experience. some say a centerforce is good, but I don't have any 1st hand knowledge.

maybe Roy will chime in and give his preference and some of the others.

in the past when zoom was made in the usa they were a good product but all are made in china not and not worth anything in my opinion.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANKS ALAN heard same on zoom..after reading what you said, I remember,I put a center-force in my 84,5.0[beefed up alittle]mercury CAPRI,yrs ago,it works like clock.THATS also what I have for my factory five cobra.I'll stick with ctr.force,unless that old man that built them for us is still alive still working...thanks for your come back....pop
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

McCleod,PERIOD!!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks ROY,,,I"ll keep that in mind, best i recall,10"is all it's got[5-bolt bellhouse].....pop
pop/glenda

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Roy said it correctly. MCLEOD. Every stick car I own has a Mcleod. Even my red 65 Cyclone that I put 200 miles or so on in 10 years. When I bought the car I thought the clutch felt weird and I had know idea what clutch was in it. When I pulled it out it was a Centerforce. I don't care for diaphragm clutches. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THen Mcleod it'll be!!!ROY ought to know,,then you backing him up BRIAN is good nuff for me. thanks to both of you..stick a fork in this problem,,its done!!..pop
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have McLeod (works great) in my 67 GT500 and 65 Cyclone, but went with Center force in my 66 Mustang since it is mainly street driven and only sees the track on test n tune Wednesdays. The weights on the pressure plate make the clutch pedal light for those times you are in heavy traffic. It is also tough enough to withstand the many 12 second passes I have made in my Mustang. I usually drive it to the track so the last thing I need to blow up a clutch and to stranded.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

Darn it...I just bought a Zoom set up. Opened it up and Made in China. Just like the Zoom flywheel.
Well if it goes south...or I go big horsepower McLeod it is.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

which maker paints,,press.plate,clu.disk orange? ..pop..
pop/glenda

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

just guessing Clutch masters or centerforce?
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RATICAL--just came from shop,ans my self,,chkd cobra stuff..centr.forc.,is orange.thanks for reply.{small dose of brain fade}BIG DOSE OF RETIRMENT..either way...POP..
pop/glenda

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

no problem pop. just throwing some out there to jog some memory.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

popscomet wrote:which maker paints,,press.plate,clu.disk orange? ..pop..
The Centerforce in my Mustang is Orange. I believe the McLeod ones are red. Haven't had them out in a while. Just redid the Mustang one last year when I switched to a 26 spline input shaft in my T5, definitely remember it was orange.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Boss-thanks---every thing is in supr shape!!BUT...head of bolt,holds 1of3 fingers snapped off,lost use of it. rebuilder checked every thing,amazed how good all it[stress good]was.REPLACE bolt ,re-install.he said.told how hot I got it at Bowl. Green yrs ago.kept lookin,shankin head sayin..damn,can"t belive it's that old look this good!! cost of new one don't mean anything,don't even enter my mind......BUT ...anybody else ever been here? I guess I need help making up my mind......worked good before my WONDER-MINT FACTOR IS IN PLAY!! thanks to all.......POP
pop/glenda