Decode of 66 Cyclone

The Big Comets

Decode of 66 Cyclone

Postby v8shadow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 am

Ok, so I met this really cool guy who (no kidding) has a 66 Cyclone sitting in a barn next to his business. Yeah.....an honest to goodness barn not a climate controlled garage or something cute that other "barn finds" are from. Anyway this guy is claiming that this is a pace car edition 427 4 spd car. Now, I have read that there were only 3 of those that were made and the rest were 390's. Also, that all the pace car editions were red ragtops? I have decoded it on a generic decoder site and found it to be a 390 powered Cyclone GT 4spd built in Loraine OH, but I wanted to check with the experts on this. The car is blue with blue interior. The tach is mounted on the steering column with a hose clamp but I didn't check for holes on the dash for evidence of a past dash mounted tach. It has the dual snorkel hood and a blue stripe along both the rocker panels. It is a two door hardtop (no b pillar post) but not a convertible. So tell me......what does this nice man actually have?

VIN 6H26S5xxxxx
BODY 63H
COLOR K
TRIM 82
DATE 18L
DSO 32
AXLE D
TRANS 5
v8shadow

Re: Decode of 66 Cyclone

Postby Lip Ripper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:30 am

100 Pace cars. All red ragtop's. 3 parade cars that were allegedly HM prepped (the 427 theory). It's not a pace car and probably not a 427. S code is a 390GT. Look on the side of the block above the oil pan and see if there are main cross bolt's. Great car at any rate.
66 Cyclone GT Pace Car

There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.
Lip Ripper

Re: Decode of 66 Cyclone

Postby Lou's Comet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Seen this on upcoming Mecum at Indy

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-28252 ... nvertible/

A replica with a C6 instead of 4 speed, upgrade brakes , etc.

But will be interesting to see what it brings

Lou
Lou's Comet

Return to 66 - 69 Comets