Complete Dash Swap "Q"

The Big Comets
1967Comet

Complete Dash Swap "Q"

Post by 1967Comet »

I've been pondering the difficulties in swapping out my '67 dash (not just the pad; but the entire thing) with a '67 Fairlane or '66 Comet dash. I really don't like the '67's dash but love everything else (Don't love the '66 Comet either; but I'd swap what I find first).

Is the metal portion of the dash spot welded to the kick area in front of the doors or is it bolted in? I crawled up under and couldn't come to a conclusion (when I was putting in my NOT cracked dash pad).

I'm debating on the same type of swap on my '73 F250 (HATE that dash but LOVE the '67 truck dash).

Side note, are Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane & Torino windshields all interchangeable? Mine is so rock/sand pocked it's a hazard when the sun starts going down or a new fangled car is approaching.
Look slow, Go Fast and Act Surprised
1967 Mercury Comet 202 (Wimbledon White)

427xr7

Re: Complete Dash Swap "Q"

Post by 427xr7 »

I would love to buy your not cracked 1967 comet dash pad. Does anyone have one for sale?

248-867-352two

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey, know where you are on the pitted windshield!
I replaced mine last year, had been in the car over 40 years.
The shields are not all the same,, you'll have to check but a same year Fairlane
may fit yours, a quick check on Ebay or similar would tell you.
I don't have any personal experience with your generation of Comet but it is a unibody like mine
and the dash is completely spot welded into the car and I would bet yours is too.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Main dash is spot welded to the body,it can be removed by drilling out all the spot welds [done that before,not a fun task but very doable! I would check with an Automotive glass company,they will know about interchange! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals