What Tire Pressure To Use?

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

What Tire Pressure To Use?

Post by Maine Pilot »

As part of the restoration of my '66 Caliente, I replaced the old bias-ply tires with radials. Unfortunately, I can't find any guidance as to what correct tire pressure to use.

On the inside glove compartment door there's a recommended tire pressure decal, along with essentially the same info in the original Owner's Manual--but these are for the bias-type tires that came with the car--radials were off in the future somewhere.

The owner's manual calls for 24 psi front & year for 4-ply normal use, and 26 (front) and 31 (rear); a for 8-ply normal use and max load. For sustained legal speeds at 60 mph & above to add 4 psi more pressure, up to 32psi; (40 psi for 8-ply).

As an experiment, I put in 30 psi for all 4 tires, but at speeds above 50 mph, the steering became "twitchy" and bordered on unstable at 60+ mph.

So, do we have any recommendations for tire pressure for radial tires?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

poboyjo65

Re: What Tire Pressure To Use?

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you look on the tire it will have recommended min & max pressures in fine print somewhere on the tire. I run em at 35 as a general rule.
Johno

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

I run 35 psi also, 215/70 -14 radials all four. GK
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP hAS ALWAYS RAN 35LBS IN my tires,in fact if I mount my own tires up at my shop,I'll put 35 lbs and never balance one,put it on and drive it for awhile,if it drives out OK then I leave it alone,if not then I balance it.good luck ...POP
pop/glenda