Power steering pump pulley

The Big Comets
66Comet

Power steering pump pulley

Post by 66Comet »

Does anybody know the correct part number for a 1966 Mercury Comet Caliente 289 non ac car power steering pump pulley???

Is it C7AZ-3A733-A ??????

Thanks for helping.

popscomet

Re: Power steering pump pulley

Post by popscomet »

C7 stands for 1967........C6 is for 1966.............pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Seems like most PS pulleys didn't actually have a p/n stamped on it. Instead they had a 2 letter code stamped. AE AD AC etc.
There are a couple different diameters that would work for non-AC 289 but most important is the "depth" and "sheave width". Depth affects the belt pulley to pulley alignment and sheave width depends on the width of the crank pulley sheave driving the PS pump.
Check this out, towards the bottom of the page there are some descriptions and applications: http://www.mustangtek.com/pulley/Pulley.html

It would help if you knew the part number of the crank pulley. It might be stamped on it. If so post it here, I have a book that matches crank pulleys to other pulleys.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Many years ago I replaced the pulley on my ps pump. don't remember who I ordered it from but the part no was "C7AZ-A-U8". it was identical to the original. the same pulley was used for many years in the 60's and fit all ford thompson pumps.

Best price i found for the latest:
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/ ... 190-0.html

You need a special tool for removing the old one. Putting it on is simple.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

According to my book the correct part number would be C5AZ-3A733-C. 4.9" diameter with a 1/2 groove. Should be driven directly off the crank pulley for 65-67. Marked "AC" on the pulley.
That's the correct part for your car but any generic pulley would work. The pulley Ron linked above has a 3/8" groove (because the belt went over the water pump pulley as well) and is larger to under-drive the pump and slow it down for cars with 3:50 gears.
Of course over the years parts were changed out for whatever works. I'm just noting what's correct for your car.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have a pump with the pulley still on it off a 66,but like everything else its in the back of my yard barn,and its stacked to the roof with no walkway! i need to dig a bunch of stuff out,but its going to be one of those deals where you dig everything out one day and put it back the next.i hate to say but i have 3 people wanting parts i have but its a 2 day job to dig them out.it may be spring before i get that stuff out.by then they might not need them,but i need some stuff in there too but i guess i may have to wait till spring also.i may post some 4 sale items to help fund my car.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I seem to recall my original pulley on the ps pump had a 7XX marking on it but don't remember. I think I still have it somewhere. The pulley itself was still good at least not bent, just buggered up on the front from me not having the right tool to get it off. I cleaned it up as best i could but still didn't look too good. So i replaced it.
Don't know what size the groove is but i know I use the same width belt for both grooves. For some reason 3/8" does not ring a bell. I think it is some fractional size. I think the pulley measures something like 5" or a little better.
Don't have the pump anymore since I converted to EPS so can't measure it to find out.

Fryedaddy, isn't that the way it goes? Takes you 2 days to dig out the stuff you have stored. And with the winter and cold doesn't make it any easier either. :)
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:Fryedaddy, isn't that the way it goes? Takes you 2 days to dig out the stuff you have stored. And with the winter and cold doesn't make it any easier either.
Ron
Try moving house in the middle and being in a rush to get everything moved, after looking for something for 3 days you begin to think you left it and then stumble across it some odd place :roll: Just wish I had not left my collection of bell housings :cry:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

it sucks leaving stuff behind,i left a box of pulleys behind .about 25 or 30 of them. thats alot of money on ebay
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

66Comet

Post by 66Comet »

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. I can't see any letters stamped on my pulley. I'll pony up the money and roll the dice. Stay tuned!! Wish me luck.