Front windshield gasket

The Big Comets
lwhuggins

Front windshield gasket

Post by lwhuggins »

Does anyone know where I can get a front windshield gasket for my '66 sedan? Every source I can find stops selling them at 1965.

fairlaniac

Re: Front windshield gasket

Post by fairlaniac »

Your '66 should use butyl tape, not a gasket. The rear window has a channel gasket.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

I wondered about that. When I brought my '66 in for painting, I had asked them to replace the front windshield gasket because it looked ratty and after being in the rain, stubborn streaks would appear. The streaks could only be removed by some isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease. The paint shop said they couldn't find any mention of a windshield gasket, but used some kind of "liquid gasket" instead.

I wonder if other cars used that same process?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

lwhuggins

Post by lwhuggins »

Thanks, fairlaniac! I finally figured that out after many hours of exhaustive searching.

I need to have both windshields removed & resealed. I've heard that headliners are easier to install with the windshields removed. Do you have any input or experience with that??

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

lwhuggins wrote:Thanks, fairlaniac! I finally figured that out after many hours of exhaustive searching.

I need to have both windshields removed & resealed. I've heard that headliners are easier to install with the windshields removed. Do you have any input or experience with that??
I have installed a headliner in my '66 Fairlane (similar to the Comet). Only the rear window requires removal to do it right. The front windshield can stay in place.

When you install the headliner I found it useful to have about 30-40 medium sized binder clips. I use these on the sides at the pinch weld. As you glue the headliner there use the clips. They work great. At the C-pillar on the flat under the package tray you'll find some old pieces of board holding down the edge of the liner. I got some free Lowes or Home Depot paint stir sticks. Cut them to size to hold the ends down.

Shoot me a private message with an email address. I have some word files with pictures that a friend and I put together as be both did our headliners at the same time. It ws both our first time to install a headliner. It's not really hard. I may not reply for a few days as we are going away for the holiday.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd