Ignition wiring question

The Big Comets
Sabatona

Ignition wiring question

Post by Sabatona »

Hi all.
Question:

I did a test turning over of the engine in my 66 Cyclone.

Problem: When I move the ignition key to the first (running) position, the starter on the engine turns over....

So...is it possible that they have something connected wrong under the hood (selenoid, etc) or could they possibly have the ignition switch wired incorrectly?

Any help and explanation into how to diagnose and correct the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C
DSO 84 Home Office Reserve

Comechero65

Re: Ignition wiring question

Post by Comechero65 »

It's possible the wires connected to the start solenoid are crossed. Should be a red/blue wire connected to the S term, a brown connected to the I term. Just to check unplug the wire from the S then turn the key to on. If it does not turn over then that's part of the prob. Sw the two wires then try again. If it still tries to turn over suspect the ign sw is messed up internally and replace it.
Wire colors may be different on a 66.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea It's probably like Ron said, the 2 small ''push on'' wires on the solenoid are swapped. been there ,,done that!! :D
Johno

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Hi Guys!

I ended up replacing the wiring harness in the engine compartment with a nicer one the previous owner gave me.

I followed the wiring instructions in the service manual, and it fired up without a hitch!

I used an ohm meter to confirm that I had the 2 small push on wires installed in their correct positions.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C
DSO 84 Home Office Reserve