Hi to all

The Big Comets
braat
Comet Central Member

Hi to all

Post by braat »

Hey Mike...Tks for doing this...I've been looking for a site like this for a while now and let's hope it catches on in the Comet community. This past spring I bought a '66 Comet Capri. It's a 2 dr HT, 289, 2v, single exhaust, 3spd column shift, 2.80 rear end. My initial plans were to restore it but a season of spectating at the local drag strip convinced me I need to go street/strip and towards that I plan to spend the winter learning so's to do things right the first time. My goal is a nice looking 300-350 hp streetable car. So far all I've done is get it running and replace the stock points with electronics and a new performance coil. Next, I'm thinking a new intake and carb, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust and a mild cam.. also for the striip I'm leaning towards a C4 transmission and a 4.11 or higher rear end. Does all this sound like a reasonable approach? I'd be interested in what other 289'ers have done in adding reliable and streetable performance. For any one that's interested here's the before picture of my '66.

http://www3.telus.net/braat/

Tks to any and all who respond.
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

braat, glad to have you :D
Looks like a nice solid car you have, '66s are cool Comets (maybe not quite as cool as 64s :lol: :lol: ) I think you should fix your car however makes you happy, if its not ultra rare i don't think anyone should worry about restoring one to factory original unless that's what they want.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

dude95307

anyone who has a 1966 comet

Post by dude95307 »

do you need a 1966 COMET/FALCON/FAIRLANE/MUSTANG SHOP MAN
I will sale it for what I got it for I bid on the wrong item, and now I have this, I don't need it I need the 1965 COMET/FALCON/FAIRLANE/MUSTANG SHOP MAN

1964 comet wagon 404/ with a 302
1964 comet caliente, 56K mile and there real
1965 comet cyclone, 4 speed, my 1st car ever
1975 dodge RV 440 big black, American Clipper 75K miles

braat
Comet Central Member

Post by braat »

Dude95307...thanks for the offer but I've already got one.
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

cyclone67

BRATT

Post by cyclone67 »

bratt wait till ya see the new heads im buildin :shock: fully hogged out set of DOVE-C with scorpion roller rockers mtorsport guides and crane 3/8 hardend push rods!
Wade ``MERC MAN`` Robertson

braat
Comet Central Member

Post by braat »

Wade..heads for your 460? Sounds like your aiming for some serious revs. Are you gonna be able to race it this coming year?
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

cyclone67

heads

Post by cyclone67 »

bratt not so much revs as power i like to build my engines to run under 6k .
it keeps parts breakage to a minimum
iwas porting a exhaust port and screwed up majorly :cry: i cut into the cooling passage so now i have a messed up head or i gotta find somebody that can weld cast real good! or try and trade it to somebody that runs filled alky heads.

man what a bummer!

im going to try my hardest to make this season .
i was supposed to go to fmerkls bday party last night but didnt make it , sounds like it was a realk blowout!

braat
Comet Central Member

Post by braat »

Hey Wade any progress in your DOVE-C problem? Me I'm getting my seats recovered and I'm on a MIG welding course this month....when I'm done that I'll patch some holes leaking to my interior (floor pan, wheel well and driver's door) and then hopefully be closer to getting it inspection proof. Also I just refinished my steering wheel which was crack city....you can check it out here: http://www3.telus.net/braat/

Got a free junker C4 yersterday... mostly for tradein but maybe I'll take it apart just to see what's in there.
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hey Braat, nice job on the steering wheel, ever think about writing a little tech article on how you did it? I could build a page to add to our tech section 8) .

Also you think about joining Comet Central? I know Wade probably bugged you about it already.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

braat
Comet Central Member

Post by braat »

Hi Mike...thanks and yeah I could write up something...where should I send it to? Don't know when I'll get at it though.

As for joining Comet Central I'm not sure what you mean...aren't I already a member??
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Braat, your a forum member only, but if you fill out the membership form (click the "JOIN" link at the top of the page) I'll add you to the official roster, where you will enjoy all the benefits of a full membership :P :P :P :P and get to have a hand in shaping the future of Comet Central.

If you click on the "Tech" link you will find a link at the bottom of the page to send tech articles too, I think it is tech@cometcentral.com ????? When ever you get a chance to send anything that would be great 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

cyclone67

bratt get off yer butt and join

Post by cyclone67 »

i will see if i can put together a tech article on basic rebuilding now that i have acsses to a digital camera ,as i have a hot tank valve machine cam bearing bar boring bar ect . and if i ever live down putting that hole in the head maybe a home porting article

braat
Comet Central Member

Post by braat »

There...I joined...happy now??? (just kidding)

signed
Eagerly Awaiting Full Membership Benefits :)
'66 Comet Capri HT 289

cyclone67

membership

Post by cyclone67 »

its about bloody time bratt :wink:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Wade a porting article would be great 8) 8) Well minus the mistakes anyway.

Thanks Braat!!! The benefits are so great, I can't even mention them here (or let anyone know what they even are) because the response would be so overwhelming :lol: we all couldn't handle it :?

Thanks again, everybody,

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread