Question about "66-"67 Cyclone GT's

The Big Comets
Martin_G

Question about "66-"67 Cyclone GT's

Post by Martin_G »

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a Mercury Cyclone GT but it has a "small" problem, mainly an "identity crisis" !
It seems that the VIN tag on the door and the radiator apron DO NOT agree with the body style! Its listed as a 1966 car on the title.

Now the door info is correct regarding the paint, "S" code motor (335hp 4bbl 390 cid),interior trim, etc.... The "problem" is that the body style at the rear is not consistent with it being made as a "66 Merc Cyclone GT. Somewhere along its life whether on the production line or after it now has the vertical tail lights that the "67 Merc Cyclones had!

Why would the car have the vertical "67 T-lights rather than the "horizontal" tail lights of the "66 ?

I did speak to people at Ford Motor Co. over the course of three days.
After I asked the specific question "about the possibility of random cars being pulled off-line during production and having "different" styling "ideas" done before the next years model run", could this have happened??

The answer I received was,"YES, this did happen a few times" . The down side was that the lady in question who answered this would NOT put this in writing.
Does anyone here know of anything like this being done to other vehicles, OR have a reasonable idea as to what year this Cyclone GT might be? Its titled as a 1966.

Now,the first number of the VIN# is a "6" which denotes a 1966 with both locations of the VIN being a 100% match both on the driver's door jamb and the radiator shroud.

Would anyone happen to know where at least one other VIN number or ID number might be so I can put this to rest and either buy it or walk away from it? I don't want to buy someone elses problem!

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. I can be contacted here at this forum or this post, or at my email mgill49@yahoo.com,

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Question about "66-"67 Cyclone GT's

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I don't think this was a factory problem. Either a rebody or previous repair? Post some pictures and all the info on the data plate, we should be able to figure it out. Look for a buck tag, or vin on fender apron to see if the vin matches the tag and or title.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Martin_G

Post by Martin_G »

Where at on the fender apron? The VIN #'s listed by the radiator & on the driver's door all match. Are there any other places where a VIN might be hidden under normal circumstances?

At one time this car had a repaint over the OEM color, Maroon Metallic than Black. Everywhere the paint has been removed shows the original color. I was thinking that if I could find another VIN plate, even a partial one I would buy the car providing it matched the other VIN's along with the other info I got off of the build numbers.

The car runs ok, and the seller is asking a good price but I don't want to buy "a pig in a poke" ! If the title and VIN had a "7" as the first number instead of a "6" this post would be moot.

After looking over just about every inch of the car by myself with two buddies, we didn't find anything that looks like a major body repair. The body does have its share of dings here 'n there, plus a couple of minor rust holes but thats about it.

The VIN is 6H26S61**** and the build numbers are 63H X 86 13E 17 4 4. The breakdown that I have of the build is:

VIN Numbers
6-- last digit of the year
H-- assenbly, Lorain,OH
26--body serial code
S-- engine code 390ci 335hp
613***--consecutive unit number

Build code:
63H 2 dr GT
X- paint,Maroon Metallic
86-- trim color,black
13E-- production date 13th May
17-- DSO, Washington
4-- axle, 3.25 ratio
4-- C6 automatic

HTH,

Martin

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Interesting... Could this be a late year production unit? One possibility I suppose - Is it possible they rolled this out late in the year, maybe to meet continued demand for the 66's but had already retooled to the 67 line? I know that there was a lotta 'cross-over' of parts from various model years just based on over and under-demand.
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Martin_G

Post by Martin_G »

B_Hix wrote:Interesting... Could this be a late year production unit? One possibility I suppose - Is it possible they rolled this out late in the year, maybe to meet continued demand for the 66's but had already retooled to the 67 line? I know that there was a lotta 'cross-over' of parts from various model years just based on over and under-demand.
I don't know when FORD stopped one model year then began another but this particular was supposed to have been made on the 13th of May which just happened to be a Friday, as in FRIDAY THE 13TH ! I would like to locate at least one other number so this mystery will hoperfully be solved.

Hypothetically speaking, supposing you were interested in buying a classic vehicle but you found out it had a similar "mystery" surrounding it......would you buy it? Here's a worst case scenario......now you have to sell one of your "toys" for you kids college tuition, OR you have a major house repair to pay for etc., then the car buyer finds out information previously unknown to you (the seller)that the VIN belongs to a car that was supposedly "scrapped" or worse!

I guess that with old cars there's only a couple ways to verify what they are. In the past I've had several classic cars but there wasn't a problem finding out what it was. It was as easy as fallng out of bed! OTOH, I would rather walk away from 100 good deals than get stuck with a questionable deal!

I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on this .

Thanks,

Martin

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Well, if a numbers matching purchase is what I was after I wouldn't buy anything with ANY mystery - it would need to be 100% correct and verifiable. I have never purchased a numbers matching vehicle, but if I were to be in the market I would get into the micro-details to make sure I didn't get snake bit.

Your diligence is more than appropriate!
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

I would suspect some repair work back there if the Vin is correct, Vin should should be stamped on the drivers side shock tower.

Martin_G

Post by Martin_G »

The rear area of the Cyclone was checked with a fine tooth comb for anything out of the ordinary like "unusual" welds or repairs. Although it was repainted a different color years ago the OEM color is still there underneath the repaint on the entire car.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Martin_G wrote:The rear area of the Cyclone was checked with a fine tooth comb for anything out of the ordinary like "unusual" welds or repairs. Although it was repainted a different color years ago the OEM color is still there underneath the repaint on the entire car.
Martin, If the 66 and 67 share the same Qtr panels and trunk lid. Which from pictures it looks like they do.Then you would not need to do any drastic changes such as welding panels and such. The 67 taillights would just be a bolt on modification.

For example say you have a 66 and like the looks of 67 tail-lights. It would be as easy as changing the qtr panel extension/tail-lights, rear facia, and rear bumper.
This would all be a simple swap, no welding just bolt-on. See if orig oem paint is stil underneath on the qtr panel extensions and rear panel. Maybe someone just liked the look of the 67 rear better than the 66 and just swapped the parts from a 67??

Would be easy to swap back too.

Lou

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

Martin, If the 66 and 67 share the same Qtr panels and trunk lid. Which from pictures it looks like they do.Then you would not need to do any drastic changes such as welding panels and such. The 67 taillights would just be a bolt on modification.

For example say you have a 66 and like the looks of 67 tail-lights. It would be as easy as changing the qtr panel extension/tail-lights, rear facia, and rear bumper.
This would all be a simple swap, no welding just bolt-on. See if orig oem paint is stil underneath on the qtr panel extensions and rear panel. Maybe someone just liked the look of the 67 rear better than the 66 and just swapped the parts from a 67??

Would be easy to swap back too.

Lou

^^^^^That is exactly what I was thinking.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The door tag states, NOT FOR REGISTRATION,doors get swapped out because of wrecks or rust or other damage.The ONLY Vin # that matters are the ones stamped into the chassis!!! Both of my 65s have had the doors swapped and have NO door tags! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Martin_G

Post by Martin_G »

I realize that the door plate says "Not for registration" , however, both the numbers on the door AND at the radiator apron match 100% not to mention the title as well.

I guess I'll have to check into changing out the lights and everything thats involved with it. It doesn't sound like a big deal at all, but out of all of the cars I've owned not including the trucks there weren't any other cars that had a "mix" of body parts that were different from the year it was made. I've seen different color interiors and different options of these too like a fold down rear seat for the "69 & "70 Mustang fastbacks, but they were available that model year the particular car was built. To say this has been a bit confusing is a real understatement!

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Martin

MercGT

Post by MercGT »

Doesnt say where you are from. but here in Spokane there was convertible I used to see. 66 with 67 tail lights. I dont think you said if it had a 66 front end on it.
The car here had had the 67 tail panel welded in, then the rest is bolt on. Pretty easy I would guess if you are a body guy.

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

BUY IT nothing looks better then the 67 tombstone tail lights IMO :mrgreen:
67 caliente