'66 Caliente Steering Box Replacement?

The Big Comets
Maine Pilot

'66 Caliente Steering Box Replacement?

Post by Maine Pilot »

I'm still new to the vehicle, (purchased it in Sept), but now that winter's arrived, I'm trying to put it into decent driving shape for next Spring.

My problem is the steering. It seems ok at relatively low speeds, but once I bring it up to 55-65 on the turnpike, it gets "squirrley," for lack of a better term. I brought it into a reptuable alignment shop for new tires, andover $800 worth of front-end parts: control arms, bushings, ball joints, etc., but only a marginal improvement in handling.

It has power steering, but seems to have excessive play and once it starts turning, it wants to over-correct; (oversteer?) At lower speeds it the steering responses seem somewhat normal, although the car will lean quite a bit. I also had new shocks installed, but that doesn't seem to help.

A friend suggested replacing the steering box and perhaps a more "normal" steering might return.

Yes, I've been spoiled by rack and pinion steering in modern cars and understand the recirculating ball power steering isn't the same, but I owned older cars in my youth, (62 Falcon and 64 Ford Galaxy), and don't remember them as being unstable at higher speeds.

Should I be looking at replacing the steering box? The car appears to have 48 K, but it's not documented as such. Would putting in anti-sway bars help if they're available?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Lip Ripper

Re: '66 Caliente Steering Box Replacement?

Post by Lip Ripper »

Take a look at the ball/socket joint on the end of the power steering control valve. The stud goes up into your pitman arm. Have some one move the steering wheel back and forth slightly and see if you have excessive play in that socket. I have a 66 and it drives really nice.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Maine Pilot

Re: '66 Caliente Steering Box Replacement?

Post by Maine Pilot »

Thanks, I'll try it. Do you have any other suggestions?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else