66 390 GT dash top

The Big Comets
Tambo

Re: 66 390 GT dash top

Post by Tambo »

Thanks Boss. I've been posting up pics on forums for years and those pics came off the same album so I think it's the site that did the direct image transfer.
But I don't suppose I should rule out it was me having a seniors moment. LOL
66 Cyclone GT: 390, 4 sp Top Loader, 3.25 9inch

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Tambo wrote:Thanks Boss. I've been posting up pics on forums for years and those pics came off the same album so I think it's the site that did the direct image transfer.
But I don't suppose I should rule out it was me having a seniors moment. LOL
Who knows, photobucket has been changing so much lately anything is possible.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Lakeview

Post by Lakeview »

How difficult is it to remove the dash pad

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Stand on your head in the floor, reach up and unscrew the pad. Level of difficulty is based on your ability to contort.
:)
LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Tambo

Post by Tambo »

Last week I climbed 40 feet up a Pecan Nut tree in my back yard with a chain saw to cut off a broken branch that was posing a danger of falling on someone.
But standing on my head in the floor well ... nah ... much to dangerous at my age.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I'm changing my dash pad this summer - can't wait till it's done and absolutely dreading it... I don't contort too well and under-dash stuff is my kryptonite. Looks like I have to take the cluster out too - ugh
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Tambo

Post by Tambo »

B_Hix wrote:I'm changing my dash pad this summer - can't wait till it's done and absolutely dreading it... I don't contort too well and under-dash stuff is my kryptonite. Looks like I have to take the cluster out too - ugh

Ah but Brad, contorting is your son's job while you sit and hand him the spanners.
If the cluster is the same as a 66, just undo the screws top and bottom and carefully pull it forward. If you can't get your hand behind to undo the speedo, then undo it at the gearbox and the extra slack will allow it to pull the cluster out another 2 - 3 inches and makes it easier, then there's only one plug and an earth wire. When you put it back, don't over tighten the cluster screws as you can break the plastic surrounds quite easily. I also placed a cloth over the steering column to prevent scratching.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Tambo wrote:If the cluster is the same as a 66, just undo the screws top and bottom and carefully pull it forward. If you can't get your hand behind to undo the speedo, then undo it at the gearbox and the extra slack will allow it to pull the cluster out another 2 - 3 inches and makes it easier, then there's only one plug and an earth wire. When you put it back, don't over tighten the cluster screws as you can break the plastic surrounds quite easily. I also placed a cloth over the steering column to prevent scratching.
Tambo, sadly my son is 18, in college and far too busy with girls and books to be bothered with my obsession :wink: That said I appreciate the advice - sounds like you have been at it recently :) I plan on replacing the cluster bulbs with LED's while I have it apart. Might recondition the face too - remains to be seen how deep I decide to get into it. The cluster is missing a triangle shaped piece now (about 1")...if it's really brittle I won't mess around with it too much...
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun