Dash lights

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Dash lights

Post by dcducks1 »

I found my fuse box and all of them appear to be good but I still dont have a working lighter, dome light, or dash lights. The lights for the floorboard work. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dave

Comechero65

Re: Dash lights

Post by Comechero65 »

Sounds like bad connections. All 3 are on separate circuits.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I guess I need to start reading them out and seeing if the fuses are getting power and move on from there. Thanks for the different circuit info. I have ordered shop manuals, parts manuals, electrical manuals but until they show up I'm just running blind.

Dave

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I'm not sure about the lighter but you could take a look at the headlight switch for the dash lights and possibly the dome light. Andy

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Caseville, that makes a lot of sense! The dash lights should turn on when the light switch is pulled and should fade down when the light switch is turned. Turned completely and the dome would come on. Brilliant! That will be the first place I investigate when I get some time to lay on the floorboards.

Dave

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Caseville, you were right on the money. I replaced the switch and I now have dash lights. The dome is still inop, but I will figure that out in good time. Thanks for the suggestion. Image

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Just a follow up. I am getting ready to replace the headliner and figured I better take this time to fix the dome light. I was going to buy an LED light kit that just goes inside the original housing but before I did this I was going to read everything out. I took the dome cover off and before I read anything out I was looking at the new bulb I put in several months ago that never illuminated. Just playing around, I flicked the bulb......one time........problem solved. You have to love the easy fixes.

Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I originally installed LED bulbs in my cluster which light up nice and bright. But with the white face decals I have on all the gauges they light up with a nice white light which I liked but were so bright I was concerned they would cause eye strain driving at night. And they don't dim with the dimmer control so can't turn them down in brilliance. So I reinstalled standard bulbs. Don't like them as it's more of a yellowish light not white like the LED's but may have to just live with it. Have heard someone makes LEDs that will dim with the dimmer control but haven't checked them out yet.

The switch connection in the headlight sw that turns on the dome light also turns on the underdash courtesy lights and door lights. The door switches should be connected to the same feed to the dome light so the lights should come on when the doors are opened.

The cigar lighter is a seperate circuit that comes off the fuse in the fuse block. Should be a bu/wt wire coming off a 14 A fuse at the bottom of the fuse block.

If you flicked the dome lamp bulb and it came on must be a bad or corroded connection. Try cleaning up the contact in the socket.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Ron,
That is exactly what I did. I cleaned up the socket good and hit it with a little WD-40. Seems to work without any issues. My under dash courtesy lights were the same way. Thanks for the info on the LEDs, I had thought about them, but I actually like the dim yellowed lighting which seems to go with the era of the car.

Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Just got through ordering some LED bulbs that are supposed to be dimable. Will find out when they arrive if they do and how they look.
Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Well got the LED's but they are not dimmable as per their listing. Am waiting to hear back from them why they don't dim as advertised. According to their listing they are supposed to be compatible with my year and model but they are not. They illuminate just don't dim.
Have done some experimenting and can get it to dim a little bit but not the full range of a standard bulb. I have found a control that is supposed to make LED's dimmable but haven't resorted to that method yet.
Ron

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Keep me posted, I want to see how it turns out.

Dave

loman

Post by loman »

If you want another source for LED lights here is a link to one. The only reason I know of this company is because they are located next door to where I work. I don't know anything about them good or bad quality wise. The only thing I do know is that they have been growing, because they are buying 1 of our 2 buildings when we close the doors this summer.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

loman wrote:If you want another source for LED lights here is a link to one. The only reason I know of this company is because they are located next door to where I work. I don't know anything about them good or bad quality wise. The only thing I do know is that they have been growing, because they are buying 1 of our 2 buildings when we close the doors this summer.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
That's who I bought my lamps from and whom I am having discussions with them. They claim their LED's are dimmable on our cars that's why I bought from them. But they don't dim with the stock dimmer control. I'm trying to point out the differences to them. Don't think who I have talked to is technically knowledgable in electronics. And what he is saying is just a smoke screen for not knowing the truth.
Will keep working on a solution.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like the smoke screen part,RON...as there is so much smoke blowin from a counter man :? pop
pop/glenda