Fuel Tank Replacement

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by dcducks1 »

Anyone ever change out the fuel tank on their 1966 Comet? I changed the ignition over to electronic with a new distributor, coil, wires, and plugs and got the timing back to 6. The car would start fine and idle beautifully but would die after about 5 seconds. I pulled the metal filter off of the carb and it was gunked up. I pulled the carb and it looked pretty rough too. I have only owned this vehicle for about a week and when I bought it there was about 4 gallons of gas in it (have no idea how long it had been in there). I gassed up and headed home (about 60 miles). It ran good (luckily) and got me home. Since then, I tooled around the neighborhood a few times but mostly its been in the garage getting a clean up and makeover. I found a remanufactured carb from Rock Auto for $119 so I purchased it to replace the old one. I installed an inline filter between the tank and fuel pump to help gather more gunk before it gets to the carb filter. I am planning on running th egas down to a couple of gallons before pulling the drain plug and seeing whats inside. I have been thinking about just replacing the tank and being done with the fuel contamination problem. Has anyone ever done it and is it a difficult job? It looks fairly straight forward but I wanted some suggestions or tips if there were any. If I do replace it, I am planning on taking plenty of pics to post it up on the forum.

Dave

dcducks1

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by dcducks1 »

This is what the trunk of a 1966 Comet looks like when its missing the tank. Image

New one is on order, this should make everything run much better.

Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BE sure and replace that short rubber hose from tank to fuel line,,this rubber hose could be the bulk of your problems to start with ! best of luck pop
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

New rubber hose in place with new clamps. Just waiting on the new tank to show up. Blew out the line today from the pump back so I know I will have a clean system once the tank is installed.

Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAVE,that short rubber hose is over looked or not even thought about so often,there has been many fuel pump and in line filters changed 'cause of it..your going the most correct route,,everything new or clean !!! good luck,enjoy working with your son...LORD knows POP and his son have had and still do,many of hours of enjoyment on a old ford ...and now a grd son is right between us,,seems like it was just last year we were either building son's 1st car(which he still has) or grd son's 1st race car,,,DAMN time sure has a way of skooter pootin right by you..keep up the good work and best of luck.....POP
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Tank is on its way. I have been cleaning the "ledge" where the tank sits. I am using some wire brushes and will treat it for rust prior to putting the new tank in. I bought all stainless sheetmetal bolts to replace the rusted ones I took out. Have a new gasket and sending unit locking ring ready and waiting.

Dave

Jedeka

Post by Jedeka »

Where are you getting the tank from? Let us know the quality and fit. Thanks.

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Mustangs Unlimited. It was $189 with free shipping. It should arrive Monday or Tuesday and I will let everyone know how it fit. By the pictures, it looks like its an identical match to the OEM.

Dave

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Jedeka, although my car is still running (yet), the tank fit perfectly and lined up with the OEM holes. Couldn't be happier and the price was better than anything else I found plus free shipping.

Dave

Jedeka

Post by Jedeka »

Thanks Dave. I am considering getting a new tank for mine, since it is probably original and the car has been sitting for years. Nothing like putting a new engine in when it comes to that stage and find out a bunch of crap is in the tank. For under $200, I think that us relative cheap insurance.
J.D.

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

My tank looked really good on the inside but there is a fiberglass looking mat that was attached to the top of the tank and it had corroded between the tank and the mat. When I peaked between them with a flashlight you could see the light going into the tank from pin holes. Check the tank really well.

Dave

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Catching up with project posts. I completed the tank a few weeks ago. It was very simple (14 sheet metal screws hold it in) a filler hose clamp, a feed line clamp and a fuel quantity sending unit wire. Image

The drain plug on the bottom made it a snap to empty out and remove. easy upgrade and it took all the guess work about what MIGHT be in a 48 year old gas tank.

Dave