Junk yard Bench Seat Questions

The Big Comets
1967Comet

Junk yard Bench Seat Questions

Post by 1967Comet »

My wife picked up a bench seat for me while she was in Washington (State) last week (http://www.allamericanclassics.com). In the pictures it didn't look all that bad (minus the vinyl). She didn't take very detailed pictures; mainly just standing outside the drivers side and iPhone'd it for me. I was looking more for rust, broken frame, bent/missing bolts etc etc. She said she picked the best of the bunch but it's pretty bad (drivers side mainly). I spent the last few hours today vacuuming and smacking it around to get as much rust out as I could (woah nelly was there a lot; about as bad as when I did my rear quarters on the Marquis).

My questions is; can most automotive upholstery shops also take care of replacing broken springs, repairing some rust rot through on a few spots along the bottom of the drivers back rest? And will it make it cost prohibitive to have them do all that? I was really excited about this one because its for a '67 and would fit like a glove (we lost the original bench seat; I have no idea who needed it worse than we did).

And do upholstery places like to receive the bench seat together stuffing and all? Or can I pull the covers off (keep them for a pattern) and clean all the frame up so they can see what they've got to work with? I asked my dad (he's been doing cars for ever) and he said it depends; and they'll tell me if I call lol ..

Just askin' for an opinion or two.
Look slow, Go Fast and Act Surprised
1967 Mercury Comet 202 (Wimbledon White)