1966 Comet Cyclone GT "S" code

The Big Comets
will_64

1966 Comet Cyclone GT "S" code

Post by will_64 »

I found a 1966 Comet Cyclone GT, I don't know anything about the '66 Cyclones. So I need you guys to school me. Here's what the guy told me. (It's a Real Factory Cyclone GT, "S" Code 390-4V, Automatic, Factory Fiberglass Ram Air Hood, Factory Bucket Seats & Console, 9" Rear End, Original Red on Red Color Combo, Needs Restoration, In Storage Since 1976.) I know nothing about these, how rare, production #'s, how difficult it would to get parts. What's special about the "S" code? Is this something worth looking into? Thanks

pro64

Re: 1966 Comet Cyclone GT "S" code

Post by pro64 »

the only thing ican tell you is I was 15 yrs old and my neighbor had one. yellow with black interior and a fiberglass hood . I loved that car had to walk by it every day to go to school. until one day it had a forsale sign in the window, I went over and knocked on the front door the owner cam out I asked him about the car 390 4 v automatic, duel exhaust with cherrybomb mufflers . first 1200 $ dollars takes it turn key car.... it was gone in a week.. :x that point on I swore there will be a day I own a comet.. :!: 8)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

will_64 wrote:I found a 1966 Comet Cyclone GT, I don't know anything about the '66 Cyclones. So I need you guys to school me. Here's what the guy told me. (It's a Real Factory Cyclone GT, "S" Code 390-4V, Automatic, Factory Fiberglass Ram Air Hood, Factory Bucket Seats & Console, 9" Rear End, Original Red on Red Color Combo, Needs Restoration, In Storage Since 1976.) I know nothing about these, how rare, production #'s, how difficult it would to get parts. What's special about the "S" code? Is this something worth looking into? Thanks
IF there is anyway for you to own this comet----you need to own it !!those are hard to come by....it's a 390 hi-po (s code) and it has a C6 trans. it sounds well worth restoreing ,,POP
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

A car that I would certainly want to own! Go for it, or let someone here have a chance to buy it.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Hey Pop, been a while since I've talked to ya! I'm going to go check it out possibly Monday. Needs restoration, been sitting in storage since 70's. If it doesn't work out for what ever reason I'll let you guys on here know and give the contact info. I'm very interested though hope to bring it home! I'm guessing these had the C6 in them? Can't seem to find too much about them on the net. Who sells parts for 66 Comets besides ebay?

Groover

Post by Groover »

albert wrote:A car that I would certainly want to own! Go for it, or let someone here have a chance to buy it.
oh... that would be so nice.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

It is a black sheep Fairlane so all the drivetrain, door seals, glass etc. are the same. As far as I know there is only one place to get interior vinyl and that is Jake at falcon Interior's. I have had mine for going on 6 years now and it looks new. He has the correct vinyl, the correct embossing patterns and the Mylar that goes inside the stainless on the door panels. There are some other repop item's like turn signal lenses that are Comet specific and are available. The one item that you will not find is a good corral molding that goes between the tail lights. (they are all pitted) The grill is Cyclone only and I see a lot of Cyclone's with a Caliente grill but there are some OE grill's floating around. Get ready to throw Just Dashes $1300 to repair the dash pad because there are no repop's. In my prejudiced opinion 1966 was a banner year for American auto styles. Pick a brand and I think 66 was a great looking year for them. Oh, the scoops are fake, not ram air.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Thanks for the reply, this would definitely be a long term project, wouldn't be in a hurry to fix er up.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Sounds like you're not ready if it is a long term thing. Let here go and wait until you're chomping at the bit; that's my thinking.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

ENOLCYC

Post by ENOLCYC »

will_64 wrote:Hey Pop, been a while since I've talked to ya! I'm going to go check it out possibly Monday. Needs restoration, been sitting in storage since 70's. If it doesn't work out for what ever reason I'll let you guys on here know and give the contact info. I'm very interested though hope to bring it home! I'm guessing these had the C6 in them? Can't seem to find too much about them on the net. Who sells parts for 66 Comets besides ebay?
As certified everything 66 Cyclone owner. Have owned over a dozen 66s I am currently selling off my 30+ year collection of parts, hoods, fenders, doors, have a room full of parts. You can pm me if you'd like. I just talked to a guy who just purchased a 66 Cyclone GT convertible in storage for 20 years for 6k a very very good deal. Hope that helps.

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Sounds like you're not ready if it is a long term thing. Let here go and wait until you're chomping at the bit; that's my thinking.
it's something that I would take my time and do right, that's what I meant. Start gathering needed parts, ect. This car has been sitting a while, will take some time, don't want to rush it!

will_64

Post by will_64 »

ENOLCYC wrote:
will_64 wrote:Hey Pop, been a while since I've talked to ya! I'm going to go check it out possibly Monday. Needs restoration, been sitting in storage since 70's. If it doesn't work out for what ever reason I'll let you guys on here know and give the contact info. I'm very interested though hope to bring it home! I'm guessing these had the C6 in them? Can't seem to find too much about them on the net. Who sells parts for 66 Comets besides ebay?
As certified everything 66 Cyclone owner. Have owned over a dozen 66s I am currently selling off my 30+ year collection of parts, hoods, fenders, doors, have a room full of parts. You can pm me if you'd like. I just talked to a guy who just purchased a 66 Cyclone GT convertible in storage for 20 years for 6k a very very good deal. Hope that helps.
if I get it, I'll definitely pm you thanks, I'm sure it'll be missing some things.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Good, as long as you can stay committed. You will go over budget, it just seems to happen. And yes, it is a C-6 Merco-matic. You can decode the door tag with a google search. This will give you int/ext colors, axle, etc. And the blue car above has the correct Cyclone grill for reference.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Speaking very selfishly, I sure hope this build thread happens. I would love this car myself, but that is not in the cards, the next best thing is to watch somebody else restore one right in front of my eyes. Good luck and keep us posted.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Lip Ripper and Groover, if I end up with it, it'll be done right! I would restore it as close to original as possible. And I'll post pics too. I was looking for a 64 comet HT a while back and found the 66 Comets, just love the way they look. I'm trying to attach a picture of it, but it keeps saying "board attachment quota has been met"