Hi Performance 289 Install in '66 complete

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Hi Performance 289 Install in '66 complete

Post by dcducks1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIurEZgO1xM This was my winter project. Got the block from a '69 Mustang and put a little chop in the cam, headers, electric fuel pump, new intake, 4 bbl Edelbrock and a ton of little things here and there. The video shows it running with straight headers. I just finished getting the new 2.5 inch exhaust with "H" pipe and Flowmaster 50's all the way out. I went with the 50's since they would be sitting right under the cabin and I needed to be able to hear the stereo.

Dave

Flintlock

Re: Hi Performance 289 Install in '66 complete

Post by Flintlock »

Sounds and looks great Dave. I'll be doing an engine install in my 65 this spring if the weather ever breaks. :lol: :lol:

Mark

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Did some minor work today with throttle cable and shift down linkage adjustments, replaced the tranny mount, adjusted the electric choke, and tightened down a few lines that were leaking antifreeze. Found one of my BRAND NEW heater hoses with three pin holes. Really? Added new lap belts but I decided I am sending them back and going to put new retractable seat belts in the front. I'm tired of the belts hanging outside the door when you are getting out. This should solve the problem. As soon as the weather breaks it is going in for the headliner replacement and the new rear window seal.

Dave

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I learned a lot on this install. I learned that my new engine wasn't a 289 but a 302. I also learned how to tell the difference between a 60's block and an '82 and after. I learned the difference that 28 oz flex plates and harmonic balancers make when the motor needs 50 oz. I learned that pulling the motor out of this car is actually pretty damn easy. I learned that when ever you go to work on something, be prepared to work on about 10 other things. I learned how much more pride I have in my ride after I did the work and not someone else. I learned I appreciate the car more after putting my own blood sweat and tears into it. I learned that I really enjoy listening to the car more than the radio. I learned I like to cruise and hang out with other motor heads at car shows. I learned that my middle son starts driver's ed tonight and he will soon be driving the Comet. I learned this forum has a lot of experience and great people to deal with.

Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

That is some learning you have under your belt now ,DAVE !! you did good !!!...Glenda has complained for 20yrs about the radio not working in my comet,,no music box what so ever,,,,I tell her just listen to the engine,Babe...just listen to the motor...and we have been cross many different states in POP's OL red ride...now kick back and enjoy and let that middle son drive it from time to time.....they are what it's all about ,when it's time for the cows to come home......good luck pop
pop/glenda

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

dcducks:

It's interesting that we both have a similar experience with our '66's. Last Fall, I was returning from getting a quote from a paint shop when the engine's tappets or lifters starting making a racket. When I got home, the engine took 3.5 qts of oil and it had less than 600 mi since the oil change!

Short story: I ended up getting the engine rebuilt by a reputable shop in my town and they told me the same thing...I had a 302 instead of the 289 I thought I had! Figuring the car was already modified with dual Flowmaster 50's and Cragar chrome wheels, I decided to keep the engine rather than buying a 289, even though it has just a 2 bbl carb. The engine just came back today and I'm having a reputable shop doing the install as I have limited mechanical ability, tools and space to do the job properly. The shop is also repainting the engine bay and installing a dual master brake cylinder (for safety), and an electronic ignition. Next will come a complete exterior paint job and new side window seals. The rear bumper has been sent out to a re-plating shop in Providence, RI.

I do envy your ability to do a lot of the work yourself as you said that you're learning a lot about your car and saving money at the same time. Keep us informed on your progress--and Pictures, Please!!!
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I was a Jet Engine mechanic in the Navy for 23 years and have always seemed to have a wrench in my hand my entire life. I'm not afraid of tearing anything apart and figuring out how it works. I know tools and I can read a manual so I consider myself pretty dangerous. The bottom photo shows the Comet getting the tranny dropped for the correct flywheel and harmonic balancer installation. ImageImage Once it was realized that the motor was a 302 instead of a 289....well.....we had to make a few decal changes. Image The final picture shows the new fender badging to show off my new found power! Hahaha

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks Great Dave!!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AND it looks super good to OL POP.Thats just what a feller needs to tool around in and flat out have fun while he's toolin,,,I call that a prospective sleeper.....knew a guy yrs ago always drove a 4 door,and there wasn't many 2doors that could catch him...and I always thought that was so cool.....you have done yourself proud,DAVE.....POP
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Thanks for the kind words. It goes......really well......and it stops...... really well! Now I am concentrating on the handling. Have ordered many new parts to start cleaning up some of the slop in the steering (tie rods, control arms, etc.) Once I have everything in and as close to aligned as I can do with a string, I will drive it down to a little shop about 3 miles away to have a true alignment done. Now that the wife likes to ride with me, I might even look into an AC unit for the old Comet!

Bought my son a special key and had it cut yesterday. This will be his key to the Comet. We started this as a father and son project and he was helpful at the beginning but I think girlfriends and other things got in the way. Now that he has started his driver's ed, I think he realizes how close he is to being on the road. This key ought to help!

Dave

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Let me know if you decide to go with A/C, especially if it's a factory unit. New England summers may be short but can get hot at times, especially with black vinyl seats.

I'm a bit suspicious about so-called "dealer installed options" such as an A/C. Back in '73, I bought a new Mercury Capri V6, with a dealer-installed A/C. It would cool fine for 10-15 minutes, then all that came out was hot air. Seems the condenser would ice over and I'd have to shut the unit down for 10 minutes for the ice to melt, then start it up again. What a pain!

PS: Your ignition key is worn down almost as much as mine--one could use a screw driver in lieu of a key in a pinch!
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Well, a nice sunny day cruise turned into an engine overheat. Got it home and flushed the system real well. Not sure why it overheated. The only difference than any other cruise with the new motor was that the temp got around 78 degrees today which is about 15-20 degrees warmer than any other day I've had it out. It has a new aluminum dual core radiator in it which was installed a few months back when the motor went in. I ordered a 3 core radiator today. The dual core just might not be able to cool sufficiently. Top hose is hot and pressurized so the thermostat is working, water pump is moving the water. The only thing left is the radiator. Even if the 3 core is too much for what I need, what is the harm in having too much radiator? None that I can think of.

Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I run a standard 4 core brass rad and a 5 blade fan with shroud. Never have an overheating problem. It's all a tight fit but it fits and works great.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ARE you sure the engine is hot?? I can't understand why so many are having heating problems from a sbf,,my 64 289 with 2x4's still has the stock 64 orginal rad and it never runs hot and it's bored 60 overwith 180 thermo year around......without a shroud and it does have a 5 blade fan............... :? :? pop
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Oh yes...its hot. Its spewing steam out of the overflow hose like a fire breathing dragon. I'm hoping the larger volume of 3 core will solve the problem.

Dave