Bumper Rechrome

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Bumper Rechrome

Post by dcducks1 »

I'm looking at getting my front bumper re-chromed or buying a new bumper, whichever is cheaper and looks better. I found a company called Bumper Boyz out of California. The front would cost $380 if I give them my core, $480 without a core. UPS is $140 each way so my total cost would be $380 + $280 = $640 (with core) or $480 + $140 = $620 (without core). So, in a nutshell, it would be cheaper for me to Buy the bumper outright and try and sell my bumper. The other option is to meet them at one of the car shows where they charge me an extra $20 for bringing the bumper up. The closest show for me would be Carlisle, PA which is about a 3 hour drive so I think I might just make the road trip and save some money. Anybody know of any places around Maryland that do re-plating for a decent price? Or, anybody know where a good looking new or used front bumper is at?

Dave

albert

Re: Bumper Rechrome

Post by albert »

Stay away from Bumper Boyz, most people I know that bought their product were disappointed. My understanding is that they use a 2 step process in re chroming while quality shops use a 3 step process. Bumper Boyz products tend to have chrome flaking problems and rust after a couple years. Find a good local shop and pay them for quality work. I had my front bumper done for $550 about 3 years ago, the shop however is closed now because of strict NJ environmental laws.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

I'm also in the process of getting the rear bumper for my '66 Caliente re-chromed. I started a thread on this forum and from the replies, (only a few), were: 1) there's no OEM stock available, and 2) do an internet search for re-chroming. I did both.

The Internet search was futile for a new bumper and there were quite a few results on Google for the Bumper Boyz--all of them were very negative.

Many of the re-chroming places near my residence, (Maine), proved dead ends with phone no's out of service. The closest firm I could find was D&D Replating in Providence, RI. After a couple of calls to them I decided to ship mine out yesterday, (3/6/15), via UPS. It was a lot more than I expected: $190 for boxing and shipping. D&D quoted me a rough estimate of $300-400 and will take 4-6 weeks to finish. It's about a 5-hr drive one-way from my home to Providence, but I'll probably pick it up myself once the job is completed to save money and to ensure it will not be damaged on the way back.

By the way, there are only 6 bolts that hold the rear bumper on my '66, so it was an easy job. Be sure to have your bolts re-chromed at the same time, otherwise they'll stand out once they're mated with the bumper.

I couldn't find any reviews for D&D and do not know of anyone who's done business with them, so I guess I'm going to play the guinea pig on this one and hope I made the right choice.

I'll post the results here on the forum as progress is made, but you, or anyone else for that matter, can send me a Private Message and I'll try to respond to your questions.

Here's a link to D&D. Not much, but at least you'll find their phone no and address: http://www.superpages.com/bp/Providence ... 857080.htm
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

dcducks1 wrote:I'm looking at getting my front bumper re-chromed or buying a new bumper, whichever is cheaper and looks better. I found a company called Bumper Boyz out of California. The front would cost $380 if I give them my core, $480 without a core. UPS is $140 each way so my total cost would be $380 + $280 = $640 (with core) or $480 + $140 = $620 (without core). So, in a nutshell, it would be cheaper for me to Buy the bumper outright and try and sell my bumper. The other option is to meet them at one of the car shows where they charge me an extra $20 for bringing the bumper up. The closest show for me would be Carlisle, PA which is about a 3 hour drive so I think I might just make the road trip and save some money. Anybody know of any places around Maryland that do re-plating for a decent price? Or, anybody know where a good looking new or used front bumper is at?

Dave
I have used BumperBoyz a few times, got like 4 sets of bumpers from them over the last 6-7 years including a set for my Comet like 6 years ago, and a pretty extensive grille for a 48 X brand. Can't complain about any of them. One of the bars on the grille I got got funny but they did replace it for me by mail and in pretty decent time. But everything else has held up and looks good. Well the grille does too now with the replaced bar.

The 48 has been on the road for over 4 years and chrome bumpers/grille still look great. The 48 was in nine shows the first two years and place first in class in 6 of them. Including the AACA regional, Best in show 2 times and second place once. The second place show they told him that he would have gotten first if he had just washed the car lol.

But I have had good luck with them. I do go to Carlise and buy them from them at the shows/swap meets. I also unwrap them and check them out first. I have found some with small defects and such, just unwrap another one till you find the nice ones kwim?

Plus Carlise is a blast, been going to the ford swap the last 5-6 years. Have been to other swap meets there too. Always a good time. About 3 hours for me too.

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I talked to them about 66 bumpers and got the same story about extra fee's etc. for bringing the bumpers to the show. When I went to Zephyrhills a couple weeks ago they just happened to have a front and rear for a 66 Comet with them (first time in 6 years). They were the price plus tax and that is all. I didn't buy them so if they didn't sell the following week at Daytona they'll likely be at Carlisle with them.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm planning on going to Carlisle but I wonder just how many 66 front fenders they will have for me to look thru.

Stacey, how do I get in touch with Zephyrhills?

Dave

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I'm in Maryland and a friend of mine who does restorations for a living here sends all his re-chrome work to Labrandi's in Pa.

http://www.carchrome.com/

Mark

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Thanks Mark, I will contact them.

Dave