MSD dist.spring kit

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
fryedaddy

MSD dist.spring kit

Post by fryedaddy »

i ordered a spring and bushing kit for my MSD distributor and i installed the litest springs.the kit comes with 3 sets of springs with 6 total combos to adjust when the total advance comes in full.with the blue bushing in, it advances 21 more degree and with the lite springs its all in by 2200-2500 rpm. my idle jumped up a little after i changed the springs.would it be advancing some at idle causing it to idle higher? i dont have much exp.with this setup.just wondering.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

fairlaniac

Re: MSD dist.spring kit

Post by fairlaniac »

Did you pull the distributor to make the spring and bushing change? If so you may have stuck it back in off timed? Otherwise it shouldn't increase idle. I've used and changed out my bushings and springs on my MSD in the Fairlane and never noticed an idle change. How high was your idle before hand? Maybe the springs are too light and letting the advance work too soon?
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

idle is at 800ish and i think those litest springs come in around 800,if i understand it rite. did not take dist.out.i guess the arms or weights are trying to open a little at idle.thats all i can think of
fryedaddy

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

I have the 25 degree bushing (silver) in my 390 set at 10 degrees BTDC with one light silver spring and one blue spring. It comes in around 1300 RPM and is in full around 2800 RPM and it's proven pretty correct with the light. Maybe with the light springs and 800 idle the advance is bouncing around and causing a higher idle? What I've found to be real helpful is the true MSD tech forum where MSD engineers answer your questions. You might try them out. http://www.msdignition.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

thank you Doug,i think your right.i may try your setup.someone else i know runs the lite silver spring with a blue medium spring,and he said it works well. i may try the tech too,thanks
fryedaddy

JES

Post by JES »

Did you get this fixed ? Yes, too light on the springs. One light silver, one light blue and the black bushing normally works best.
set initial at 16* to 18* gives you 34* to 36* total.