351 Windsor stroker

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
pugs65

Re: 351 Windsor stroker

Post by pugs65 »

Rocket, right now I'm running an 8" with 3.00 gears. Going to be a 9" with at least 3.55 or 3.73 with an a.o.d. trans. 28x10.50 tires.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

408w here. Buy a good rotating assembly and dont look back. Lots of the 347's have the oil ring intersecting the wrist pin. They also have a bad rod angle and ratio. If i did a 8.2 stroker it will be a 331.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

My son had a 347,actually 342,standard bore in a 1984 Mustang and we ran it for 12 years, no problems! I can't remember the best time,I think 10.70s,it was still running 10.80s when he sold it and now its running in 1988 street mustang. D&D Motorsports is who we bought the short block from,I'm sure no longer in business. We added a solid roller and Victor Junior heads. We now have a 363 all aluminum motor(Dart Block). New motor runs 10.20s. Andy

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I forgot on my last post to mention, to install the strongest short block you can afford,because you can always install better performance heads and camshafts down the road without removing the motor. Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

NOT many FORDS in the IMCA V8 modified class around here,,but there is ONE with a 347 that runs good,he don't do a lot of winning,but if he don't wreck or get put out he's always there at the end..appears he never has motor problems,it's suspension or something else that puts him back early on the trailer,,he and his DAD are good friends to us ,in fact we sold him the CAM in the 347,,PLUS it's a sweet sounding little V8 ford under WOT coming down the back straight away,where I stay at by the back fench.......pop
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

I have a couple more questions. I've run both Holley carbs and Edelbrock carbs. Haven't had much luck with Holleys. What are your guys opinions? Also, what would be a good size cam to run? Like I said in my first post, I'm new at this stroker thing. But I only want to do this once, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

This is only POP's way of seeing things ,JMO,if you want performance...run a holley....economy run a EDELbrock...JMO POP
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Pugs;I have always had good luck with Holley Carbs,I run them on everything but my F350 Diesel!!A stroker will make a BIG cam livable,they like big lift,I run a SMALL .672" lift solid roller but I know guys with more lift!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

im not a small block man,but you better run a holley if you want it to perform.i ran the same holley dp for 33 years with NO problems.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

ants875

Post by ants875 »

My machine shop recommended Quick Fuel carbs and I have to say I'm super happy with mine.

Of course I hate edlebrock carbs.

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x2 for QuickFuel - give 'em a call & they'll help you out with initial setup, etc. Holley has gotten way better too IMO. They went above and beyond with a buddy's 770, then 850 on a Pontiac 455. Also shipped me some parts free when I just called up asking about 'em.

My guess with a the AOD and 3.70-4.10 gears, a QF 750 or Holley 950HP (actually like a 750cfm carb) will run well. A lot of cam/ compression though - I wouldn't be scared to up it and tune from there!! :mrgreen: :D :shock: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

The newer holley xp is supposed to be one of the best out there, but I think QF and some others make good carbs as well.

I've been on the fence on what to build for my comet. I originally wanted to boost a 200, but after hearing them I think they sound a little... unfavorable for my tastes when they are warmed over like that. Stock or mild they sound great.

Wanted to do a 351w, but I'm unsure on the hood clearance and have heard about heat issues which worries me being here in south tx where the avg summer temp is 105+. Looked at some 347s but again hear bad things about the rings. Looking to build something that I can drive around town for a couple of hours on cruise nights and still make some runs down the track with. In light cars like these I don't think a 12 second slip is out of the question with some e/t drags, but who knows.

Thoughts? Mpg isn't a concern, will be building it slowly so a good shortblock won't be out of the budget though I'd like to keep it under $3k if possible, unless the cost of entry is higher.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

-Rudy- wrote:Thoughts? Mpg isn't a concern, will be building it slowly so a good shortblock won't be out of the budget though I'd like to keep it under $3k if possible, unless the cost of entry is higher.
Well I am not much of a V8 guy but a small block will tuck in nice, I had the 302 police interceptor (from an 80 or so Crown Vic) in my 62 F100 SWB and it would move that brick down the road without much effort, I did not care for the AOD but in that era you can avoid most of the electronic stuff, in fact I pulled all that off and just had a regular carb and distributor on there, never really got to trick that motor out like I wanted because it was just a work truck :roll: daily driver.(you know original brakes, vice grips holding the window closed, etc)

Just my opinion if you don't want to have issues with overheating etc, others are much much more knowledgeable than me and know nothing about setting up a drag car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

my cousin has a monster windsor engine,a 420 something,big horsepower7-8 hundred.when my uncle built my fe he asked if i would rather have a windsor,at the time all i could think about was my 428 big block.looking back i could have gotten a big hp small block for the same money.but that dont mean im unhappy with my fe.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

fryedaddy wrote:my cousin has a monster windsor engine,a 420 something,big horsepower7-8 hundred.when my uncle built my fe he asked if i would rather have a windsor,at the time all i could think about was my 428 big block.looking back i could have gotten a big hp small block for the same money.but that dont mean im unhappy with my fe.
I'd be happy with a 428 too! :lol:
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto