engine diaper

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
loman

engine diaper

Post by loman »

I purchased a diaper a while back but never installed it. Since test n tune was cancelled today because of rain, I put the car on jackstands and decided to test fit the diaper. The one I have is a universal one. It fits ok I guess. If i leave it on I will make a shield over the flexplate inspection hole at the bottom of bellhousing to ensure that there is no way the diaper can come in contact with flexplate. Tightening and loosening of the straps is not very easy either, especially the one by the starter. There are other factors that may discourage me from using it also. Everytime I wash the car I would think water would run down the cracks and get in the diaper. I have an open trailer so if I towed to the track in the rain it would be soaked when I arrived at track. It might also be full of water from the road and whatever rain drips through the cracks and cowl. I had a friend who used the same one and it he says it caused his anodized pan to rust. My pan's not anodized but it does make me think about what it would do to my pan. It also covers the starter, so I would assume that is extra engine heat being kept on the starter. I know the positives of having a diaper in the event of an engine failure at 135 mph but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it on. Luckily, the tracks I frequent don't require it (yet). But there are some tracks that I would like to go to that would require me to have it. Does anyone have any experience with engine diapers good or bad?

caseville cyclone

Re: engine diaper

Post by caseville cyclone »

Loman, I'll get a hold of my son and ask him to post something on here about the engine diaper. He installed one on his 1984 Mustang 363 cubes. I think his was a universal one also. Hang tight! Andy

caseville cyclone

I see you have it installed,looks good. Andy

loman

Post by loman »

Thanks Andy. I need to take it back off and add the oil absorbent pads. I also need to fit my tranny inspection cover that I made the other night. I took it off tonight because it is not required at the track I'm going to tomorrow. I'll get it back on soon, maybe.

caseville cyclone

Make sure you give us a report on how it ran Loman! Andy