Roy's Ride,,The California Caliente!

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Roy's Ride,,The California Caliente!

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

BadBrad;Yes,that is my Comet in the May issue of Car [Chevy] Craft.CC approached me about 5 years ago about doing an article,they finally shot it last December. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

That's awesome Roy! I have read that article like three times now. I think it's pretty cool that you built it off a 289. I bet thing sounds mean as hell!
We all pay the price for having something unique!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Brad;it did,it is dead now,broke another block!! It ran a best of 10.67 at 127.56,normally 10.7-10.8.I used a 65,289 block,bored .060 with a 3.40 stroke,the last one filled with Hardblok to help support the bores,didn't work though.I would have liked to use an aftermarket block but my crank would not work with one.I'm building a 418" engine based on a 351W,.030 over with a 4.10 stroke,much better rod angles,should not have to twist this one as tight as my little engine so I hope it lasts longer!! ROY.

Bad Brad

Post by Bad Brad »

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the block, but I think the extra 60+ cubic inches are going to well enjoyed :).
We all pay the price for having something unique!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Brad;I like your signature,VERY TRUE!!!!!!!

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup it is....

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicle ... index.html

Cept they titled it with Ray not Roy, might wanna get ahold of them to change it.

StPro

Post by StPro »

Roy is your jerico transmission a clutchless Cog type or a pro shifted Std.type?
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

StPro;my Jerico is the clutch type,you can shift it clutchless but Jerico says it will last longer if you clutch it.I have a McLeod 'Softlok'[slipper style] clutch,and use an adjustable clutch pedal adjuster set just off of the floor,I just tap the pedal between shifts,leaving the gas on the floor.The trans/clutch combo has proven to be 2/10ths quicker and WAY more consistent [5 passes within 2 hundredths]than my Liberty Pro-shifted Toploader/Ram Metallic Clutch setup,plus it has survived two seasons.Neither trans is very street friendly! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

StPro;my Jerico is the clutch type,you can shift it clutchless but Jerico says it will last longer if you clutch it.I have a McLeod 'Softlok'[slipper style] clutch,and use an adjustable clutch pedal adjuster set just off of the floor,I just tap the pedal between shifts,leaving the gas on the floor.The trans/clutch combo has proven to be 2/10ths quicker and WAY more consistent [5 passes within 2 hundredths]than my Liberty Pro-shifted Toploader/Ram Metallic Clutch setup,plus it has survived two seasons.Neither trans is very street friendly! ROY.

StPro

Post by StPro »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:StPro;my Jerico is the clutch type,you can shift it clutchless but Jerico says it will last longer if you clutch it.I have a McLeod 'Softlok'[slipper style] clutch,and use an adjustable clutch pedal adjuster set just off of the floor,I just tap the pedal between shifts,leaving the gas on the floor.The trans/clutch combo has proven to be 2/10ths quicker and WAY more consistent [5 passes within 2 hundredths]than my Liberty Pro-shifted Toploader/Ram Metallic Clutch setup,plus it has survived two seasons.Neither trans is very street friendly! ROY.

Yea thats kinda what I thought about not too freindly on the street. I have been running transmission things through my head trying to decide on manual or auto. Auto is better for drag radials, but stick is mucho fun. Its a hard decision especially 5 top loaders in the basement
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

StPro;my Comet has mostly been a stick except for a couple races in 2004.I broke a Toploader just weeks before taking the car on tour.A good friend loaned me a Mike's Ultimate C-4 and converter,did the swap,the Comet slowed down about 3-4 tenths,nothing wrong with the C-4 but the converter was wrong.I at least was able to finish out the tour[40th T-Bolt Reunion Tour]and go a few rounds.I put a Liberty Pro-Shifted Toploader in for the 2005 season,it lasted until the last race of the season and broke while in 3rd.I sent it in to Liberty,they upgraded it to the 'NEW' style,broke it three races later.Sent it back to Liberty,new main case,new face plated gears,new 3-4 fork,new shift rails,it lasted four races then grenaded and seized up in third gear!!! I almost crashed but the trans broke free and let the car roll again!!!I think the biggest issue was that I was using a 1800 lb base pressure plate and sintered iron puck style disc and an aluminum flywheel combo that was too unforgiving!! Even with all those issues I still prefer a stick,WAY more fun and they can be very consistent,no matter what the slush box racers say!!!ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Roy whats the status on the motor change??

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;I hope to install the engine tomorrow,as normal I'm still waiting on a couple of items,the shop ordered the wrong pan gasket and my new crankshaft uses a different key setup than stock[they didn't send any keys].I got the flywheel/clutch back Thursday evening,at least that is one more item here! ROY.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I had no idea there was a celebrity in our midst :oops: Nice CarCraft write up - Roy, yer the man - represent! :mrgreen:
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

hey Roy what color is your car & were there any other shades of light blue in 65? Mine was originally light blue & my uncle bought a light blue one in 65. just wondering.
Johno