Test Session

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Test Session

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I went to the local 1/8th mile track[Irwindale] for a test session Thursday night.Dale Snoke was there testing his new 351W in his 64 Comet and I was seating my new new clutch/flywheel,and making clutch adjustments.I made two hits with a lot of base pressure,no counter weights,6800RPM launch RPMs,16 lbs in the slicks.The Comet spun the tires as predicted on the first two hits,but we were seating in the clutch,not concerned with times.Third pass we lowered tire pressure to 11lbs.[normal],left everything else alone,the Comet spun just a little but recovered and ran OK.For my last pass [time was up]I took one turn out of the clutch,left everything else the same and had a match race with Dale's 64 Comet.Dale had been having fuel issues but wanted a race,he wanted half a second lead,gave it to him,he had a great .006 light but I caught and drove around him for the win!I still need 3 or 4 more test hits to finalize my settings.Unfortunately nobody got any pictures of the race,there are some pictures of our Comets on Mike Morgan's web site! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Re: Test Session

Post by popscomet »

SOUNDS good to OL'POP,congrats,appears your getting it seated,good luck ! POP
pop/glenda

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Sounds like a good night Roy.when is your next race? we had been making plans to come south for the CHRR but now my daughter graduation is the same weekend. I pitted with some guys the last 2 races that are planning on taking their straight axle chevy II to CHRR.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

First off, Roy thanks for beating down that 64! Ha ha, anyway are you still running a soft lok McLeod?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Larry;YES,I still use a McLeod Soft-Lok Clutch,I had them rebuild it,new disc,new wear surface on the pressure plate and flywheel.McLeod has a break-in procedure they want you to follow.I am going again this coming Thursday,still need a few more passes to get the clutch right.We test at Irwindale [about 2 hours from me]which is an 1/8 mile track,open on Thursday from 5-10PM.Dale Snoke and I have fun putting on a show for the crowd,he just had a 351W built for his 64 Comet,was having fuel delivery issues and was testing,making adjustments.He wanted a Match Race to finish off the night,wanted half a second head start,gave it to him,caught him right away and drove around him to win.We are going to try to have a best of three Match Race soon[heads up],his engine builder feels his 64 Comet will be faster than my 65,we will soon see! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Roger;it looks like my next real race will be A/FX at the CHRR in October,was going to race next month[August] but it has been over 100 degrees at the track[Famoso] since May!!! I may do a race the weekend before CHRR,not sure yet,Bakersfields Famoso track is North East of me,a tough three hour tow.Now that I am an OLD FART[66], I do not deal with heat like I used to,plus it is just NOT FUN!!!Pretty sad that we used to have a load of 1/4 mile tracks all over So. CA.,now we have none!!! ROY.

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

Hi Roy, its sad to hear all the Drag strips have gone from Ca. from over here Ca. is thought of as the home of drag racing. in our state we went for many years without a track our nearest was 15hrs tow away, we used to drive 5hrs in the comet with 4.11s to race on an airstrip single lane just to have a race, we are lucky now there is a national grade track 15mins away, they have street meets every wednesday & regular bracket meets. Hope the new clutch setup works out for you & the Comets ready for CHRR. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;Thanks for the information.The clutch will be fine,just need 3 or 4 more hits to get it right!The problems with getting a drag strip here in So.CA. is there are TOO MANY PEOPLE,land is TOO expensive,the tree huggers want everyone to live in their solar powered homes,drive Prius econo junk to go get their environmentally grown food and clothes made from environmentally grown fibers.They are so wrapped up in saving the Earth that they forget that not everyone wants to live like them! I would like to leave So.CA. but can not sell my home[economy sucks]in order to leave the State! It takes 2+ hours to get to a 1/8th mile track and 3+ hours to get to a 1/4 mile track with a Mountain range to get over! ROY.