disc conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
rhtopdown

disc conversion

Post by rhtopdown »

Have 64 comet, 289, automatic, 14in wheels. Want to put disc on front. was told that needed a smaller power booster to clear shock tower brace. looked at thousands of kits for sale. Help please and tell me which kit should I get. Thanks for any info.

thrnelson

Re: disc conversion

Post by thrnelson »

I used the CSRP kit on my 65 without adding the power booster, just manual brakes. I have driven it about 5000 miles since the conversion and they work great. I did the swap in an afternoon. The kit came with everything including grease for the new bearings and both red and blue loctite.

rhtopdown

Post by rhtopdown »

I was told without the booster there was not much difference in just drum could you tell much difference

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Very happy with the stuff I put in my car. Thread in this topic, title "Trying to stop straight"
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rhtopdown

Post by rhtopdown »

I called CSRP and they said I needed the Swap 1 for $619 plus tax and shipping. Is this the one you used. They agreed that the booster did not make that much diff. Thanks so much. Do you know of a power steering kit?

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

rhtopdown wrote:I called CSRP and they said I needed the Swap 1 for $619 plus tax and shipping. Is this the one you used. They agreed that the booster did not make that much diff. Thanks so much. Do you know of a power steering kit?
Mine was in the $600.00 range so I believe it is the same and it was amazingly complete. I have a Unisteer manual rack and pinion installed that I inherited when I bought the car, it came in the trunk. That took some work to get installed right but once I installed a new Ididit steering column it works great. I drove the car 500 miles just last week and did not have a problem with the manual brakes or steering.

rhtopdown

Post by rhtopdown »

Thanks

comethead

Post by comethead »

My Comet came with power drum brakes and they were very responsive with the booster. Once you touched the pedal it was braking very well. With the non-power discs i installed I have to really put my foot down to get the same effect. I think a booster will make a difference.
ABS Brake sells a small 7” booster that will clear the shock tower with a dual master cylinder.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rhtopdown

Post by rhtopdown »

Need some more input about if you need the power booster for disc brake conversion. I am getting answers both ways. Help Please

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have the swap 1 kit from CSRP. a booster would make it easier on the hard braking, but its not bad at all without one.I like to drive without a lot of effort so it stays fun, I have PS & will have AC next year but it simply doesn't need PBs. city cruising with normal stops I cant tell the difference in it & PB cars, only on the harder stops do I even notice I need to push a little harder . I think I like the sportier feel,better feel of the road. If I was wanting the luxury ride & feel I'd go power. just depends on what you want. 8)
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'm sure power brakes makes it easier to stop the car but do you need them, I doubt it.
I just recently installed discs on the front, 4piston KH knockoffs
and had the car out for it's last run of the year. Took it up the lake road and did some aggressive driving.
Drove into the corners deep braking late, with the drums I couldn't have braked that late and had so much control.
The discs make the car so predictable and never did I wish for power assist.
But my shoes were too wide to move from pedal to pedal as quick as I would have liked at times. :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rhtopdown

Post by rhtopdown »

thrnelson you said you used a unisteer rack and pinion with ididit which rack and pinion kit did you use and which ididit kit. Which website can I find these. Also you said you had some trouble with install would it have gone better if you had the ididit when you started. Also did the changes make big difference in ride. Thanks and on the brakes did they have a booster did not see one on their site. Was told someone had a 7 in booster that would work with shock tower brace. ABS has one but the reviews were not very good on them.

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I put the 1965-68 mustang kelsey hayes 4 spot brakes on all mine, they bolt straight on & I run no booster, if you want to make the pedal a bit lighter you can drill the bolt hole a bit higher on the pedal to give a better mechanical advantage but I am happy with the pedal feel on mine, my red car runs 10.7s @ 125mph on the 1/4 mile & stops fine. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

rhtopdown wrote:thrnelson you said you used a unisteer rack and pinion with ididit which rack and pinion kit did you use and which ididit kit. Which website can I find these. Also you said you had some trouble with install would it have gone better if you had the ididit when you started. Also did the changes make big difference in ride. Thanks and on the brakes did they have a booster did not see one on their site. Was told someone had a 7 in booster that would work with shock tower brace. ABS has one but the reviews were not very good on them.
The Unisteer rack was in the trunk when I bought it so I cannot tell you where however it was very easy to install, the brackets installed very easy. The hard part was that the column that was in there when I bought it was garbage and I cut the double D bar for the old column so I had a slight rub on the u-joints when turning. If I had bought the new IDIDIT column from Summit in the first place I think it would have been much easier.

The model for the Unisteer is the manual version. Please keep in mind though that the turning radius is much larger with the rack and pinion as opposed to a standard box. I compensate by not doing u-turns and parking in the middle of no-where, which people assume is so I do not get door dings. Otherwise the car drives wonderfully. The steering is very tight.

I bought the manual brakes also and I do not have problems braking. My carb does not idle well when cold so I tend to drive two footed anyway but if I stomp on the brakes it stops quick. I would not change this at all.

Sorry I do not have the part numbers. I hope this helps.