poboyjo65

Re: Power Steering Conversion

Post by poboyjo65 »

I agree with all of that & feel the same! :D
Johno

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

I did discover that when ordering my tie rods that the threaded end on the 6cyl PS ones are the same diameter as V-8 ones. The manual steering tie rods have a smaller diameter threaded end compared to the power steering ones. Both inner and outer tie rods as well as their adjusting sleeves are bigger in diameter. I used a V-8 idler arm and I assume the pitman arm is also V-8 hardware.

Just some more mud to add to the already muddy waters!

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

It's also possible that the added weight of the V8 option actually contributed to the bump steer issue. Maybe the "issue" isn't as pronounced (or doesn't exist) in the little 6 cars making a change in 65 unnecessary.
I agree it was a good thread to learn about a rare option on our cars!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Matt I think the 6 cyl pitman has 3 holes & v8 only 2 holes, so I'd say you probably have the 6 cyl pitman. Have you drove the car yet? does it drive ok?

Joe It's probably a little of that , a little of what Ron said, to save money ,& also they knew the 6 cars wouldn't be going as fast,so didnt need to drive as good & I'm sure other things weighed in too.
Johno

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Matt I think the 6 cyl pitman has 3 holes & v8 only 2 holes, so I'd say you probably have the 6 cyl pitman. Have you drove the car yet? does it drive ok?
Yeah it drives fine, no issues other than a slight alignment adjustment is in order. The steering ratio is the same just the effort to turn the wheel is a lot easier. The manual steering pitman arm has 3 holes (steering gear, tie rod end, center link) and will not work if converting to power as it will interfere w/ the control valve. You have to get the 2 hole one that looks like a boomerang! The large hole connects to the steering gear and the smaller hole attaches to the control valve.

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I was wrong about the 3 hole but the pitman you used is still for a 6 cyl only, the v8 one doesn't have that big of a crook & isn't flat. you can see them here,
http://www.stangerssite.com/pitmanarms.html
Good to hear it is driving ok! :D
Johno