Power Steering Conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
comethead

Re: Power Steering Conversion

Post by comethead »

Dug into the 65 parts breakdown and found a 65 Comet 6 cyl PS diagram. (Had to take a pic with my phone because my stinkin printer is out of ink :evil: )

Anyhow compare the center link in the diagram to my pictures above. They look the same. And with Lou's "C4DZ" part number and John and Rockets noting that the tie rods are the same I think we can conclude that the 64-65 Falcon/Comet 6cyl PS center links are the same. Right?

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:

Clicky

Joe
comethead wrote:Dug into the 65 parts breakdown and found a 65 Comet 6 cyl PS diagram. (Had to take a pic with my phone because my stinkin printer is out of ink :evil: )
Click below

Anyhow compare the center link in the diagram to my pictures above. They look the same. And with Lou's "C4DZ" part number I think we can conclude that the 64-65 Falcon/Comet 6cyl PS center links are the same. Right?

Joe
I agree with you Joe. I believe they are the same.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Ron those pics are of v8 parts . that link has already been posted a page or 2 back on this thread. It says nothing about 6 cylinder cars other than what you'll need to swap from 6 cyl to v8 stuff.

what he wants to know is if 64 & 65 power steering 6cyl parts are alike.
Other than the centerlink being different all the other 6 cyl ps parts should be the same. Might need a different tie-rod on the drivers side because of the ps control valve.

All he needs to do is find a 65 ps centerlink to swap his to. And of course the pump, mount bracket and hoses. Pump is the same for 8 and 6. Hoses will have to match the 6 ps control valve. in other words a complete 6 cyl ps system. No need to upgrade to a v8 ps system. The only real difference then would be the centerlink and the ps control valve and one hose would be a different size fitting. Still the whole thing should work just fine unless he plans some hard driving or racing.
Ron

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Man, this odyssey into 6cyl power steering gets more confusing by the day! Just kidding of course. I appreciate everyone taking the time to research this. It's a good discussion and a real investigation into what Ford was doing back then. I asked Joe to send me some pic's of the centerlink he had and I'm glad he also posted the pic's in this thread so we could all see what he had off a '64 6cyl. Like I told Joe, that bolt on control valve/power ram is not something I'm used to seeing. Maybe because I've never seen a power steering set up from '64. I'm used to seeing a separate control valve and power ram for '65. I'm afraid to jump on Joe's centerlink if I can't find that bolt on ram/valve anywhere to replace it! Isn't the '65 control valve a screw-on design on the end of the centerlink? My Comet is not a racer or a daily driver, it's a weekend cruiser used to attend cruise-in's/car shows and enjoy on sunny days.
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Never mind, sorry. I see that 38163 has threads on it that allow the control valve to fasten to and the whole assembly bolts to the centerlink. It's hard to see that in Joe's pic's.
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

Comechero65 wrote:Other than the centerlink being different all the other 6 cyl ps parts should be the same.Ron
Ron, it looks like the 64-65 6cyl PS centerlinks/valves are the same.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

MattDoscher wrote:Never mind, sorry. I see that 38163 has threads on it that allow the control valve to fasten to and the whole assembly bolts to the centerlink. It's hard to see that in Joe's pic's.
Matt I was checking out the Mercury Master Parts Catalog and it lists the PS control valve for the following applications/interchange:
1965 Comet 6 cylinder
1966-70 Comet/Montego and Cougar
1971 Montego
1971-72 Comet

Now the book I have is Lincoln Mercury only so it doesn't list Fords. But a Cougar is a Mustang essentially. So it would seem that the 65 Comet 6 cyl valve also interchanges with 67-70 Mustang (Cougar).

Joe

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Thanks Joe!
5H25T582252

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The only real difference I know of is the control valve on the 6 cyl has all ports 1/4". The v8 has one 5/16" (i think) return port. Obviously the centerlinks are different.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

MattDoscher wrote:Man, this odyssey into 6cyl power steering gets more confusing by the day! Just kidding of course. I appreciate everyone taking the time to research this. It's a good discussion and a real investigation into what Ford was doing back then. I asked Joe to send me some pic's of the centerlink he had and I'm glad he also posted the pic's in this thread so we could all see what he had off a '64 6cyl. Like I told Joe, that bolt on control valve/power ram is not something I'm used to seeing. Maybe because I've never seen a power steering set up from '64. I'm used to seeing a separate control valve and power ram for '65. I'm afraid to jump on Joe's centerlink if I can't find that bolt on ram/valve anywhere to replace it! Isn't the '65 control valve a screw-on design on the end of the centerlink? My Comet is not a racer or a daily driver, it's a weekend cruiser used to attend cruise-in's/car shows and enjoy on sunny days.
Matt you shouldnt have a problem piecing together the system. NPD has the lines and it looks like they carry a repro 6cyl pump mount bracket. I would use a 65 Ford/Thompson pump (they're easier to find and cheaper than the Eaton type).

Joe

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Yeah your right Joe. I think the center link and the attaching link are just about the hardest pieces of the puzzle to find. I have a NOS center link on the way, plus yours w/ the attaching link on it I'm much better off. I plan to use a Ford pump. Looks like the pump is the same whether you have a V8 or 6cyl. Looks like the pump has like 3 separate mounting brackets for the 6cyl. The main one I see from NPD but the other 2 may be difficult to locate.
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

I think this Eaton pump/mount is for a 6 https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322047846763
It definitely is not a V8 mount and the seller doesn't really say what it is.
I've seen a mix of Ford and Eaton pumps on 65 Comets. It may be an early/late production thing.

Joe

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

I wonder if the Eaton and Ford pumps use different mounting brackets for the 6cyl?!
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yes they do. The pump designs are different.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Here's some 68 brackets. It would be for the later Ford type pump with the smaller fill neck reservoir. But I believe an earlier large neck pump would bolt to it. I once rebuilt a small neck type but used a large neck reservoir.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/370639952558