T-5 Questions & Info

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Re: T-5 Questions & Info

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:If you have a link to the forum I could try and refresh my memory
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-for ... nyone.html
redhotcomet wrote: It could be that the hose would contact the floor/transmission tunnel due to the different angle. And that they're 7/8" bore possibly?
They are 3/4" bore and I was looking at the Landcruiser master that is 3/4" as well. My clutch fork is clocked a lot further down as well so I shouldn't have interference with the tunnel and I don't have a header on that side to get in the way, instead I got two pipes trying to crowd the starter out on the other side :roll:

I am thinking about buying them because they are so stinking cheap, not a lot to gamble if they don't work.

About how long is the line running down there?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Finally got the flywheel for a 2002 Mustang 3.8L V6, it is a 164 tooth flywheel, should be zero balance. It is a SACHS brand part number SAC NFW1175 for anyone interested.

Here it is bolted to the 250 L6 block and crank, I know you can't really see them, but they are there. (it is all upside-down)

Just so everyone knows, it does not fit straight out of the box, I knew this when I bought it but it is very close and only took me 5 or 10 minutes to fix it if you don't count me wandering around trying to find my drill bits that I didn't even use because the size needed was not in there, The flywheel holes need to be reamed out they are metric sized holes and they are like super close to the right size, you can almost fit the bolt in there. I decided they were closest to a 7/16" hole, after I found out I didn't have a metal bit that size I used a step bit from HF, I was surprised at how well it worked even though I had burned the bit pretty bad when I tried to drill out the hole in the hardened bed frame steel, but mostly the tip.

It actually worked well because the next step was 1/2" and it made a nice chamfer on the hole, the only problem is it did not quite reach all the way through so I had to flip the flywheel over and finish from the other side, and chamfer the back of the hole as well anyway.

Everything turned fine with nothing touching, the starter looks like it should fit ok.

I also have the clutch disc from the 4cyl T-5, it is too small around but wanted to see how much shaft was left exposed and if there was clearance, it appears so.

That is with the clutch disc pushed up against the flywheel.

Round 3 is too see if a starter fits ok and clears, I know I could skip all the other steps because this really looks like it should work, but I want to make sure.

it is kind of a hassle pulling the engine block off the stand bolting everything on and then unbolting it all and putting the block back on the stand, better to test and retest than to mess up.

Happy so far it is all fitting up, I got the seal to replace the one in the front input shaft of the T-5 but have been holding off because it is easier to put the shaft and bearing retainer up there without the transmission attached.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

What year did Mustang t-5's change to a VSS output for an electronic speedometer? Can the signal from these transmissions be used to control aftermarket speedometers, e.g. Speedhut, Autometer, etc.? Is a control module of some type required, or is it a direct connection? Could this VSS output be used to control other aftermarket speed sensing devices such as a cruise control? How about an EPAS power steering unit such as the Saturn Vue, instead of the ebay adapter box?
Wow, I don't think I've ever used question marks in that many consecutive sentences before. :oops: :roll:
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

What is your end goal? Are you dead set on a T-5, or is budget your most important factor, or is having OD the goal? I have a "toploader imposter" 3sp+OD here that might help. It's a 1 1/16×10 spline, so not sure how that would work with the 6 cyl (I think the 250 bell is the same as a small block?) but it would fit the tunnel and I guarantee it would fit your budget ;).

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:What is your end goal? Are you dead set on a T-5, or is budget your most important factor, or is having OD the goal? I have a "toploader imposter" 3sp+OD here that might help. It's a 1 1/16×10 spline, so not sure how that would work with the 6 cyl (I think the 250 bell is the same as a small block?) but it would fit the tunnel and I guarantee it would fit your budget ;).

Dan, Jim is not building a 6. With that said, you are correct on the 250 bell pattern being a SBF match.
Jims65cyclone wrote:What year did Mustang t-5's change to a VSS output for an electronic speedometer?
My T5 is a '98 and has the module but it bolts in the regular speedo hole so manual cable will go in it's place (what I am doing) I think that may be last year you could switch them and after that they were totally electronic, I can check if no one else knows.
Jims65cyclone wrote:Could this VSS output be used to control other aftermarket speed sensing devices such as a cruise control?
Probably, but my Explorer rear has the VSS on it so not sure how they were on the Mustangs, I do know the Mustang rear cover I put on had to be modified to clear the VSS ring so I think the Mustang must not have had that so it had to pick the signal up from someplace.

Those are the only questions I can even remotely kinda answer :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote: How about an EPAS power steering unit such as the Saturn Vue, instead of the ebay adapter box?

Jim
Jim this is the guy named Wade who started the first thread on TFFN about eps for under 100$. I believe it used several columns including the saturn Vue but needed the ebay box. later he had another thread where he found & tested several other units that did not need the ebay box,they work in a ''fail safe'' mode. This is one of his videos telling about his tests on them. I think he has other vids too, would be worth clicking on his name (car videos) & scan thru them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TYQ_KJSpc&t=463s
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks, guys. John, I'm familiar with Wade. I've read his thread on TFFN and watched his videos, too. He went after the EPS like a science project! :shock: Bought and tested like 5 different units from different model cars. He ended up installing a unit either out of a Nissan Versa or a Toyota Prius in his 65 Falcon. He used the one he did because it, like 4 of the 5 he tested, could be installed without a control box because they would default to a fail-safe setting of about 40% assist. I want to install EPS in my car, too, but I also want to convert to a t-5 transmission. That got me thinking about the VSS signal that can be gotten from the later model transmissions. I'm pretty sure it can be used to operate an aftermarket speedometer like a Speedhut or Autometer unit, but I was wondering about using the signal to control a cruise control and/or as an input to the control unit on an EPS unit to give true variable assist, rather than using a constant fail-safe setting or using a manually controlled signal generator like the ebay unit. I didn't know if some of the wizards on the forum might have some knowledge of such things, so thought I'd test the waters. I may try to contact Wade through the TFFN forum and see if he's experimented with this in his laboratory. :roll: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:I didn't know if some of the wizards on the forum might have some knowledge of such things, so thought I'd test the waters.
Jim, be the wizard.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sorry I misunderstood your question Jim. but your reply sure does make me glad I stayed away from progress :lol: especially the electronic stuff.I enjoy reading about the new things guys are doing. but for my old comet I like to keep it simple, easy to build,maintain & work on. however,,,I am thinking of upgrading the am radio ! :lol: :P
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I am thinking of upgrading the am radio !
Who needs a radio?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I am thinking of upgrading the am radio !
Who needs a radio?

See Ya,
Mike
I guess nobody needs one. it's just a preference of mine. who needs air bags? :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I PM'd Waid on the TFFN forum last night. I couldn't figure out how to tell when was the last time he logged in, so I don't know if he's still fairly active or not. He hadn't opened it as of tonight. I'll keep checking and see if he answers me. Don't get too high-tech with that radio installation. You could just get you a wind-up Victrola and set it on the back seat. It wouldn't put a drain on your battery. :lol: :lol:
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I'm pretty sure it can be used to operate an aftermarket speedometer like a Speedhut or Autometer unit, but I was wondering about using the signal to control a cruise control
Jim You can get a programmable speedhut speedometer for a VSS signal from the transmission and the speedometer puts out a VSS signal for a cruise control kit. It made it very simple to hook up the cruise control
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

tomb22 wrote:You can get a programmable speedhut speedometer for a VSS signal from the transmission and the speedometer puts out a VSS signal for a cruise control kit. It made it very simple to hook up the cruise control.
Well, that puts a bow on those two questions. Now, if only the VSS signal could be used by an EPS control module. 8)
Jim